Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

I have had the exact same experience as @Olpea, that is to say I’ve never once seen Captan burn. And I spray it at the Max rate and to the point of dripping off my trees and I spray it very early- onto tender green leaves the first time. I spray on peaches, Japanese Plums, Euro plums, apples, and pretty much everything else. Now, I have also seen the spotty, white residue on some fruit that Mark mentioned, but usually it washes away after a good rain if I don’t apply it too close to harvest.

I hope your extension agent is better than ours around here- the ones we have are true experts on the big cash crops that are common here (wheat, soybeans, hay, corn, tobacco, etc) but when it comes to fruit they just try to look up answers and then give them to people who ask questions but they have no first hand experience with fruit and are therefore pretty useless.

I don’t know what else could be causing your problem, but I’d encourage you to think about it long and hard because I am a bit dubious that its captan burn. I have read that some universities in CA and perhaps elsewhere recommend not spraying captan on cots but I don’t think that is even a label warning and I’ve never had a problem with that either…though to be honest my apricots are usually lost to frost so I don’t have as much experience with them. But in 11 years of spraying all my stone fruits early, often, and heavily, I’ve never seen that damage from captan.

Good luck!

1 Like

Kevin,
@Ahmad had experience with Captan burn on his apricots when he lived in Delaware, too.

Yes, I saw that. Please don’t think I’m saying its impossible or that you are definitely wrong- I was only offering my own experiences. I especially don’t have much experience with apricots since frost usually gets the fruit and so I don’t bother spraying the trees most year. I can only report my own experiences. And while I’m probably closer to your growing conditions than Mark, I’m sure there are still lots of differences between my area and yours. I can only say that I haven’[t seen it- but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen!

1 Like

@thecityman and @Olpea
I went out this morning to take pics. This J plum was grafted in a Mirabelle.

The J plums leaves have been affected and many leave have dropped.

Behind it is the Mirabelle.

Hardly affected but E plums only got lightly sprayed as they (several varieties) carry no fruit this year. If I sprayed them like I sprayed J plums and pluots, they may be much affected, too.

All I can say is our difference in climate, New England vs TN vs KS.

4 Likes

I made SWD traps for my Cherry tree. Apple Cider Vinegar and dish soap, small holes in a plastic container. Worked great! Won’t trap enough to protect the tree, but very useful to monitor when they show up. I only needed two sprays with Spinosad and protected 99% of the fruit.

2 Likes

I did not have time to cover my sweet cherries when they started to turn red. Within a few days. The tree looked like this.

NOTHING left, not a single cherries.

4 Likes

I am very behind on orchard work this year. I put scare tape up for my Juliet sour cherries but not sure how long it will help.

I used to love birds.

7 Likes

Same here. A robin made its nest in a persimmon tree right next to my Pakistan mulberry that it has been robbing of fruit. They know where it’s at.

Sorry to hear about your sweet cherries. That’s pretty gruesome how they rip all the flesh off the pits.

3 Likes

Been buying 3 lb bags of not the best tasting cherries but still good. I usely buy 6 bags during the season than I am good for the year. Need the change tired of bananas.

2 Likes

Bob,
This tree was over 10 years old and produces well yearly so I feel guilty to remove the tree. However, I 100% agree with you that cherries are the only fruit in my yard that I can buy better quality ones from supermarket.

This was when I first started and had starry eyes of growing my home grown sweet cherries. What a rude awakening.

@PharmerDrewee , I used to like bunnies, too. Now their own this neighborhood. Every kid said it was cute but when you have a whole clan eating your veggies, they are NOT cute.

4 Likes

A familiar look!:sob:

2 Likes

pellet gun with a scope. quiet and quite deadly.

1 Like

Tippy, you told me not to bother with cherries! Got enough worries with what I grow. I am cooling of big time. Btw, got this tree that I grow that looks a lot like cherries but better tasting, Jaboticaba! 3 to 4 yields a year, all the into winter but finishing in the growroom during late season/ winter/ spring.
This tree is usually loaded during summer. Figs?,well they are getting hammered with constant 95* and higher, potted or inground, no let of. Citrus? All ok.

Do you want to reshape your cherry tree?, to flatten the canopy!

The 4 lower branches need to be spaced at 90* to make full circle 360*.
The top 4 branches are spaced between the middle of the bottom branches.

4 Likes

@mrsg47 I have thought of you. I remember birds and your grapes.

@steveb4 - got out-voted 2:1 for the use of a BB gun. Birds can get the cherries. I need to preserve my marriage :joy:

@aap Bob, what Jaboticaba taste like? What’s a lowest temp it can tolerate?

3 Likes

Peaches, apricots and nectarines are a nightmare to grow here in the PNWet, because of our long, wet mild springs, which they hate and get diseases in. Sweet cherries are easier. Most of the Sweet cherries in the country are grown here in PNW, but many on the east side of the cascades, which is drier. Pie cherries are so much easier to grow here. The birds will attack your sweet cherries and decimate the whole tree in 45 minutes at times. They don’t like pie cherries as much, and I like pie cherries way more. Many independent sources have told me that insects attack trees that are fertilized too heavily. I only use pee, biochar, and compost for my trees. Apparently, fast growth doesn’t allow the tree to defend itself with antioxidants, etc. It is vulnerable. It’s a great feeling to realize what grows in your area well, and what requires tremendous effort. We have less disease and bug pressure than the South or the East Coast.

JOhn S
PDX OR

3 Likes

i agree about less fertilizing. mine only get mulch and a occasional fish emulsion once the cherries set. depending on the condition of the tree which is excellent lately.

2 Likes

Bob,
My Black Gold cherry tree is shaped like and umbrella. Modified central lead with one level of branches spreading out. The tree is only about 6 ft tall. Very easy to reach and take care of. I have been just behind on gardening tasks so far.

The scare tape does not really work. Half of the sour cherries are gone now. We are busy with other things and have not gotten around to net the trees.

1 Like

John,
My birds are not picky. They ate all sweet cherries first and now are working on the sour ones. I barely fertilizer my fruit trees. What grows well here are apples. We have many apple orchards in the region.

I happen to love stone fruit. They don’t really love me back as they require a lot of work.

2 Likes

Good info Mamuang. My experience is just different than yours.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

I put up 5 bamboo poles with scare tape blowing in the wind. As soon as the wind dies down a bit, several daring birds swoop in. I have seen plenty of bird pecks on my apples, pears and peaches. They are having buffet in my yard on a daily basis.

1 Like