Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

Another Spring Snow dropped this morning. Cause -unknown. It was not a waste because I love this crunchy, sweet green peach.

In the past I had PF24 C branches broke. Their fruit were more advanced than this but not that edible. With Spring Snow, I can eat them from this stage until their ripen. No issue.

4 Likes

First I place the pot in a saucer. Fill the bottom with terra cotta small balls, they come in bags (for drainage), then garden soil, not potting soil. I do not use vermiculite. They don’t move.

Agree with @PharmerDrewee. Myro29C rootstocks were cheaper to get from burnt ridge (even with shipping for a small quantity). They are growing well and ready to be planted.

As some of yoou may have seen new thread about prunus americana. What a skinny rootstock it has been for me.

After 4 years, it barely grows and can’t take vigorously grafts. This was a graft broken off this am. This graft did not even has fruit on it.

@Ahmad , I personally do not recommend prunus americana as a rootstock.

I may go with suckers from Marianna 2624 that come up this year after I removed my Castleton plum tree.

Thanks for the suggestion of myro @PharmerDrewee and @californicus . It can be a pretty big tree. Marianna is a smaller but quite sturdy one.

4 Likes

You are right about it making large trees. Myrobalan needs a lot of summer pruning. It’s quite drought and neglect resistant though. My trees pushed a lot of growth even when there’s no rain or any fertilizer.

I try to avoid full- sized or almost full-sized trees in my small yard. If I could do it over, I would do the dwarf fruit trees only :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I like having different varieties even if they may produce fruit in small quantity.

I’m sure my garden is 10% of yours :slight_smile: I guess this may be a preference due to location. I’d rather have vigorous rootstocks which are usually drought resistant. Most of the dwarf varieties are slow growers here or runt out completely in our dry climate. I don’t mind pruning heavily if needed, rather than increasing my watering to get the same size and harvest.

2 Likes

Yes, we all have to adjust to what suit our needs and climate.

Where I am it can be quite cold in the winter and hot and humid in the summer. We have to be careful not to prune at certain times of the year or not to prune when wet weather is expected, etc.

We have plenty of rain most years. Keeping vigorous growth contained can be a chore. Also, I am not a fan of climbing a ladder to prune, pick fruit or spray so using dwarf or semi dwarf rootstocks fit my needs. Even dwarf or semi-dwarf rootstocks can be quite different in height.

2 Likes

Before fruit ripen to meet squirrels’ expectation, bunnies, who have much lower expectation, eat leaves and green fruit this early.

My trees are low/short so they are easier to prune, spray, pick, etc. This has a downside as they are low enough for bunnies and other critters to reach from the ground as well.

More support is needed.

@PomGranny - my plums are on a “high horse” :joy:

8 Likes

Today, 7/7/21, my one and only Flavor Delight dropped. The fruit cracked on the stem end. The size was very small.

I put it side by side with my last Orangered apricot and a quarter to size-compare.

Texture was firmer than Orangered. It tasted more like an apricot. It was not as juicy or as sweet as OR.

Flavor Delight’s brix was 17 and OR was 18. OR by far and away was better but this was the first FD fruit. Hopefully, size and taste will increase.

7 Likes

In 2019, I picked 40+ Flavor Delight apriums from my third leaf tree. Taste varied between good to very good, but not excellent. They were sweet and juicy. I think yours fell prematurely.

1 Like

Thank you for your input. I could wait a few more years for the graft and fruit to mature for a better result. Or, I may not as I have several other varieties I would like to replace it with.

1 Like

Saw this groundhog aka wood chuck. Not liking it. It is very skittish and difficult to catch.

Lots of chipmunks and squirrels. They chase each other around almost daily. Can’t step in the yard, either front, side or backyard without seeing at least one bunny hopping around. And my yard is quite small !!

6 Likes

Now those are really greedy critters and tough too!

2 Likes

I had a bear bust into my vegetable garden this morning. Didn’t do much, just trampled the fence down and pulled down the bird feeder pole in the back yard (which is how I know it was a bear).

The strange thing was, I had brought the feeder in for the night.

3 Likes

The bear was rage quitting on you. He probably walked all the way to your property thinking about the bird feeder and when it didn’t find it well he took it out on the post.

Check this croc rage quitting on a zebra.

8 Likes

You have it tougher. So far I have not seen any bear. I think because are too urban and congested. Once in a while, coyotes and foxes show up. I welcome them since they hunt squirrels and I don’t have chicken or cats.

1 Like

Fun fact. Coyotes love prunus americana :slight_smile:

The fruit or the tree? I don’t have the fruit because all branches were grafted over to named varieties.

1 Like

They really love the fruit. I was just kidding since you have a prunus americana rootstock even though it’s not working out. I’ve grafted to some americana rootstock (this year and last) because they are growing everywhere, but I’m too early to comment on it because the -29F last winter killed by grafts. Trying again this year, but it’s at the very bottom of my priority list…just something to play with. I’m cautious based on your experience. Otherwise, our wild bushes are nicely productive for processing when they escape late freezes, and the coyotes partake too.