Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

@mrsg47
Love to see pics of those pears in France. There are quite a few French-sounding pears people here are growing, too.

2 Likes

I have a graft of tennosui on my 20th century tree that wants to take over the entire tree. It has been too vigorous for me. The few pears i have picked are huge and look interesting but i dont like the texture and the flavor hasnt been impressive on what i have tried so far. Hope these get better.
Its the biggest one. They do look like a hybrid.

5 Likes

Will take pics on Saturday!

Thanks @clarkinks , @mamuang and @Preston for all the Tennesui info. It was recommended for humid areas, so I thought I’d try to start some grafts. But now that I hear all your descriptions . . . I think I’ll ‘back off’. !

1 Like

@PomGranny ,
A pear that disappoints me is Blake’s Pride. It is supposed to be sweet with buttery, smooth texture. Mine has not been that sweet and the texture was not very smooth, definitely not buttery. It is just an OK pear for me.

Either I got a mislabeled tree from Schlabach or my growing condition is lousy.

This is the 4th year eating this pear. The quality has not improved. I love to hear from those who grow BP if they get good quality pears.
@Auburn , @clarkinks , @hambone ?

4 Likes

@mamuang

Mine dropped again and im not faulting the variety, it’s on a random callery seedling. It stays about 8 feet tall. Like the dwarfing effect so im going to see what happens.

1 Like

When I saw your earlier taste test about BP and you were not pleased, I grafted the limb over to Korean Giant. It’s hard to beat a good Korean Giant or Dripping Honey and it is easier for me to determine when the Asian pears are ripe.

1 Like

@clarkinks
Hope your BP will hold on to its fruit next year.

@Auburn
I bought BP and Harrow Sweet on the same order from Schlabach. HS is true to label. I assume my BP is, too. That’s why I love to hear from people who have fruited this variety. On a slight chance, the nursery could have sent me the wrong variety. I hope I did not lead you down a wrong path !!!

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the BP was the correct variety and thanks for sharing. I’m just slowly changing over to more great tasting pears and giving them more space.

Bill,
I am going to change my several Euro pears to Asian, too. My friends love Asian pears. They would love Euro pears, too, but I dare not give them the pears because I am not sure if I pick them at the right time.

If I told my friends this:
“Here are Euro pears for you. Keep them in a fridge for 2-3 weeks. Take them out and leave them on the counter for 3-5 days before you eat them. Also, some may have internal rot”.

I think my friends will say. “Thanks but no thanks. Too much work.”
Who can blame them?

2 Likes

Ten from one vendor alone. I bought one each of four different pears. They were very large!

The varieties are: Abate Fetel , pear Williams green and Red, Guyot, comice, Provence, and Louise Bonne. Those are the only names I can make out. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

Can’t read the signs. Please list the varieties. They are all big.

1 Like

@mamuang @mrsg47

I’m guessing that says Docteur Jules Guyot aka guyot pear and Comice aka royal rivierra and williams aka bartlett. The others look like Abate fetel aka abbe fetel. That top one could be Pêra Rocha aka rocha. We will see how close i am.

3 Likes

Pretty darn good! You’re the pear guru!

1 Like

I added the names in the first post. There are a few I cannot read.

1 Like

@mrsg47

Rocha aka Pêra Rocha have that charecteristic russeting as the stem which is why those look like them Rocha Pears Information, Recipes and Facts

From your photo below

Rocha pears

It comes froms portugal and stores for 5 months ripening in August. It’s likely to hit your market now. Rocha Pear | Narc Frutas

2 Likes

Thats it! Thanks for solving the mystery! More next saturday!

2 Likes

There are not Pêra Rocha in France… just here in Portugal. They got from here…

3 Likes

@Luisport

Yes i think they were exported. They look like them to me.

1 Like

Yes you are right they are rocha pears. I was saying they are our national pear variety.

2 Likes