Backyard Orchards, chronicling, musing and more

extension service said the gravenstein looked like the roots never expanded or grew, the tree was riding on its stored reserves. the other, they guessed maybe weather damage- an early freeze here last year. but without a previous photo of the roots they couldn’t be sure

stark bros is sending a new one for free, raintree gave me credit to next purchase. I also had a mulberry die on the other side of the lot in similar way, one green world said they allow 10 days, or until July for bare root, to report a problem so I can go kick rocks.

I’ll be replacing it from one of the other places.

oh I was so angry that morning. I’m waiting now to see if my big grape wakes up, it’s 7 years old and just started making good grapes last year then the freeze came with all the leaves still big and green on it. my smaller grape is already leafing but I don’t even see bud on the big one.

That is a creative placing… Are you planning on removing garage roof? :laughing:

1 Like

We took all seedlings out of the house but it has been cold even in the garage.

He set up a green hose and will turn on a heater. Once spring is over, we will have to find a space to put this green house.

We move our cars to park on the street. These seedlings should be grateful that we give them better protection than our cars.

1 Like

The seedling in the garage will be suffering from lack of light. You need to add supplemental lights, or move the greenhouse to the entrance at least and move the starts toward light.

1 Like

Thanks. These things need more pampering than my own child.

1 Like

Apricots seem to be sticking. I did some thinning on the Sugar Pearls today. All the others are (more than) sufficiently self-thinned. I think I need to get some spray on it soon…

Looks pretty dead. It’s the one in the middle here:

It is a Ilona from ACN, which means that the rootstock is Myro, so I’m thinking about grafting a plum to it, as it has a pretty large root system by this point that I feel bad about wasting if I have a choice.

One problem is that I should probably cut below the graft union, which is very low, close to ground level. Maybe dig around a bit to expose everything and do a bark graft after pruning with a chainsaw?

Anyone tried to graft over a dying apricot to a plum?

2 Likes

How old is that Ilona tree? Does Myro produce suckers?

Agree that your tree was grafted very low. If you decide to do root grafting, pls keep us posted. I have never tried it. Hopefully, those who have chimed in.

@alan, @tonyOmahaz5 , @PharmerDrewee?

I planted it in Spring 2021, so it grew pretty big in just 2 years.

While I think it can sucker, I haven’t seen any at this site, probably because it is pretty young. I guess I could wait to see if it sends up a sucker, then graft to it next year, though that would mean losing a year of growth. I may try, just to see if it will work :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Olpea
What’s wrong with my Spring Snow?

It has been in the potted for 3-4 years. It did well until a week ago after I up-potted it. I moved it from a 15 gallon to a 20 gallon pot using commercial potting mix.

The day after uppotting, it rained. After one day of getting rained on, I moved the pot in a garage so the tree would not get drowned from 4 more days of rain.

However, I have noticed that the tree is not doing well. Its green leaves have wilt. It seems every cluster of leaves having some wilted leaves. Is it because the soil is too wet? I did not spray it with anything.

1 Like

Could it be transplant shock?

2 Likes

The thought have crossed my mind. I have never seen what transplant shock looks like, though.

I don’t know how much shock it would suffer moving from a 10 gal to a 15 gal. All I did was adding more potting soil and a bit of Osmocate.

Transplant shock was my thought too Tippy. But, I admit I have pretty limited knowledge of potted culture. I do know that when we transplant tomatoes into the ground, we almost always get some transplant shock, no matter how careful we are in removing the tomatoes from the trays. We are careful removing them, put them into the ground without breaking the root ball, and water them right away. Yet many times we still get transplant shock. Maybe it’s a coincidence with something else, but since it showed sickness after transplanting, that’s the first thing I’d guess.

My only other thought is that the potting soil holds too much water, as you mentioned. But again I just don’t do a lot with potted plants, so don’t take my answer as definitive in any way.

1 Like

Just want to show these pear fruitlets. I hope they are true to labels.

You can easily notice that Warren hardly set fruit like @clarkinks has mentioned.

All these were hand-pollinated just to be sure.

Elliot is the very late bloomer I have. The majority of its flowers are blooming while everything else is past bloom or about to.

4 Likes

It will not. But so far, nothing I’ve done has been successful. I have well fed squirrels, and i buy my fruit.

:cry:

Any suggestions?

1 Like

I trapped them.

1 Like

Is that tree away from other trees that squirrels cannot jump from other trees to this apple tree?

If so, you are in luck. Buy those cheap black bird nets and stuff (not wrap) them loosely all around the fence. I have found that squirrels do not like climbing up messy, loosely nets.

Maybe, those nets entangle their legs/claws? It has worked for me. You need to stuff the net up about 2-3 ft high.

5 Likes

Haha, I understand. I’m not allowed to trap anything here, I think it’s against California law. But I use tulle fabric for the first time last year and was able to harvest 20% of my fruit.

1 Like

Thanks. I will try this.

I can legally shoot them when they are attacking my property, which i believe includes eating my fruit. I even bought a pellet gun to do this. (Discharging an actual firearm would be illegal.) But i don’t have the heart to do it. I probably don’t have the aim to do it, either, but i haven’t tried.

The key is to hang those nets loosely and messily to likely cause entanglement to squirrels. This method only has worked on my one peach tree that stood away from other trees. They can’t jump to that tree from other trees.

I planted my trees way too close to each others ( a mistake).

I hear you about not wanting to shoot them. I used to think like that but after caring for fruit trees only to have squirrels sole them all, would shoot them if I had a BB gun.

2 Likes

I do the live trap- then airgun for quick end. they get a nice last meal in the thing, that’s for sure.

haven’t gotten one yet this year. last year, we got over 30. my partner has a soft heart and won’t kill them.