Bad experience with my dripping pear honey order from Gurneys

Mickster,

Give your Fuyu some urea nitrogen this Spring for a jump start to get up in size then no more fertilizer there after because too much nitrogen will cause fruits drop.

Tony

1 Like

Tony – any urea fertilizer brands you have had good luck with?

Urea Nitrogen 46-0-0. You can get it at your local farm store or Earl Mays or Online. Like the link below…It is a big gun of fertilizer!!!

https://www.opensky.com/thedirtygardener/product/46-0-0-urea-nitrogen-fertilizer-25?gclid=CPqB84umzNICFV6ewAodyWAAFA&max_discount=1&configurationId=57c8a568e224614c7f5c11cb&osky_origin=googlepla&osky_source=cse&osky_campaign=nonadvertiserproducts&ef_id=WD8OQAAAAIvOSNeq:20170310155446:s

Tony

1 Like

That will really make your grass green… just make sure you follow up with water so nothing burns.

1 Like

Yeah,

Water well. I used it sometimes to melt the ice on my driveway if I am out of salt.

Tony

1 Like

That’s some hot stuff Tony! I use something similar from the coop we use on hay fields that’s nitrogen pellets. I browned the edges of some leaves on my fig last year but I got figs.

1 Like

Tony – how much do you put down when you apply it? Curious how much I would need to give each tree.

I just spread evenly a 1/3 to 1/2 table spoon under the canopy depends on how big is your tree and not too close the the trunk and lightly hose the granules until all dissolved. Your Fuyu or Pawpaw leaves will turn super green in a week.

Tony

1 Like

Can you dissolve the urea in a gallon of water and then apply that to the drip line?

Sure, that will work also. I sometimes diluted a table spoon full of Urea in a Five gallons Home depot bucket and water my vegetables. The sure grow like weeds.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I just ordered a couple lbs. of the stuff you listed. If I dilute 1 TBPS in 5 gallons of water how much should I feed each tree? Think one gallon is enough?

You can try one gallon and use the drip line and that should be OK.

Tony

Thanks for the feedback Tony!

I learned the most about fertilizers from following a giant pumpkin growing forum. Those folks have really learned how to push a plant to the limit and not kill it but it is a fine line.

2 Likes

Derby that sounds awesome! And links you can share? Are you grow the large pumpkins that are the size of a small car?

1 Like

I am not positive which forum it was , that was a couple of years ago when I grew the pumpkin in the photo. It was the first time I ever joined a forum and I never posted. those guys knew so much and it is such a specialized area I just read and read. I sure learned lots about pumpkins and fertilizers

1 Like

Quick update. My dripping honey budded out last week so it looks like it’s going to make it. Hoping I get some decent growth on it this year! Can’t wait to feast on one.

1 Like

Glad to hear that your pear tree is doing well! I ordered a couple of bare root apple trees from Gurney’s last year. No complaints. The Pixie Crunch has really taken off and produced a couple of apples (which I pinched off), but the Honeycrisp is definitely creeping. That is probably due to my local climate which is warmer than Honeycrisp trees prefer. Still have my fingers crossed that it will start to leap this year, but it hasn’t come out of dormancy yet while my other two apple trees have already started to bloom.