Bagging fruits on the tree, for insect and disease protection

I bagged about 50 squirrels last year in my 1/4 acre orchard. It was the first year I got a good harvest of early fruits, usually the squirrels get them all. There are a bunch of threads here on good ways to trap squirrels.

4 Likes

When my lemon guava fruits (in my greenhouse/high tunnel) were being eaten, probably by rats, I bought large organza bags and bagged several fruits and the branch they were on together in each bag. The critters chewed holes in the bags and continued to eat the fruits. Then I sprinkled cinnamon as well as a few drops of peppermint oil on the outside of the the bags, and had no more problems. Those are 2 smells that are reputed to repel rats and several other critters, maybe some insects too. The bags were really easy to put on ā€“ they have 2 drawstrings, and you just pull the tabs which are on opposite sides, no tying necessary. Hereā€™s the name to search on Amazon: 100 Pcs Penetrating Light Fruit Protection Bags- 8x12 Inch Organza Fruit Netting Barrier Bags,Garden Plant Fruit Mesh Bags with Drawstring. (As a new member, Iā€™m not allowed to post a link yet, I guess.)

5 Likes

Hereā€™s an in depth article from 2021 on bagging all types of fruit with various bags used around the world. Some bags can reduce fruit sugar content including with apples.

1 Like

This is brilliant, cinnamon is a potent insect repellent and the peppermint oil is likely overwhelming to mammal noses, because the peppermint oil is volatile you might consider reapplying every month or two

Cinnamon is a worthless insect repellent in my location. Bagging fruit here is also a waste of time given the abilities of crows.

Iā€™m surprised the crows havenā€™t stolen some bolt cutter to get at your persimmons, theyā€™re in a league of their own

1 Like

Good research article. Also, interesting to learn that bagging fruits increased fruit sweetness in Granny Smith apple.