Bare root tree left in house for 3 days. Roots dry. Are they dead?

im new to growing in general and i dont know if my fruit trees are dead. they were in my room for 3 days maybe 2.5 days and the roots were dry when i soaked them last night. Soaked them for 1 hour then planted them. Some people on reddit said they would be okay. The people i ordered from (Legg creek farm) called me this morning saying that theyre probably dead but you should try to plant just in case. What do you guys think?

these are american persimmon, peach, plum, grape vine, pomegrante, pear. most had no leaves but like 3 of them had tiny green leaves when they arrived and stil had them after 3 days. These are all 5 foot trees except pomegrante is a dwarf very tiny, and grapevine is very tiny maybe a foot.

2 Likes

They are in the ground leave them be.

2 Likes

Depends how they were stored in the room. With the roots covered in plastic they may be ok, if they were completely open they are dead.

1 Like

they were not in the platstic i removed it and they were dry

1 Like

Maybe soak them in rooting hormone for a few minutes and just plant them where you intended. Amend some bone meal in with the soil and wait for a couple months. Then do a scratch test and see what you got.

What kind of rootstock are they on? Some are more drought tolerant than others.

2 Likes

YOU never specified the kinds of fruit, not the sizes of the trees.
Nor even if they had any leaves at time of planting.

Apples, pears, plums, jujubes?

sorry im noob didnt know it mattered. american persimmon, peach, plum, grape vine, pomegrante, pear. most had no leaves but like 3 of them had tiny green leaves when they arrived and stil had them after 3 days. These are all 5 foot trees except pomegrante is a dwarf very tiny, and grapevine is very tiny maybe a foot.

2 Likes

I don’t have enough experience to say as far as the peach…the rest of them have a decent chance to live. The soaking for an hour or so before planting certainly helped.
Good luck!

1 Like

You might be pleasantly surprised. I left a couple of rooted plum suckers in the back of my station wagon for quite a while once - a week or so?- and they did fine. Never say die. Sometimes the stars just align in your favor and sometimes they don’t.

3 Likes

awesome i hope so im new to this i probably shoudl ahve purchases $200 in trees for a first time. Those trees you left in your station wagon the roots werent moist? they were dry as well? no dirt?

1 Like

Dry as dirt, and just scraggly, poorly rooted things. Some plums are hard to kill. (Apricots on the other hand - I kill those all the time.)

3 Likes

If the roots were still pliable and not easily breaking they might be fine. I would put the worst odds on the persimmon. From my experience persimmons(taproot plants) are not good items to buy bare root.

2 Likes

Back in time when we were still buying trees to grow into permanent scion Mother trees, I got a box from Stark Brothers that had a couple of peaches and a couple of plums in it. The roots were bone dry the little tiny bit of newspaper they had thrown in with the roots was bone dry… I planted them because I had the time and the space, they all lived. Not saying every tree will recover from being that dry, but some do.

4 Likes

I once bought a few plants from Direct Gardening and your description,is the way they were delivered,in a big plastic trash bag.They all survived,except for one,because it was cracked.
But,never again.
BTW,welcome to the forum.

3 Likes

I mean I posted about direct gardening here They basically said if you like to gamble buy from direct gardening. They are cheap but constantly sell mislabeled plants, constantly sell dead trees etc. I thought of buying from them because they had a peach tree they claimed was a ultra dwarf Elberta. I found out there was no true dwarf peach trees other than genetic dwarfs soon after. Lucky for me I never got my trees from them.

1 Like

you can do a scratch test if its still green near the trunk just plant it will leaf out in spring. but if it is brown then its gone/dead.

all of them when i scratched where white with green hint. But when i asked the people that i bought the trees from she said that the tree takes a while to die so its not a accurate test right now

2 Likes