Bare root tree not leafing out

Raintree shipment arrived late this year for me in Napa and all my apples, pears and quinces had already leafed out for more than a month. Shipment contained two quinces: one is doing fine; the others hasn’t leafed out at all. I’m tying to be patient; it’s still green under the bark. But at this point, it doesn’t seem like it’s going to leaf-out at all this year. What’s the prognosis? Do I pull it or is there any hope that it may leaf-out next year? Any advice appreciated.

2 Likes

It may still leaf out this yr. As long as the bark is green it has a chance.

Just my opinion, but if it’s green under the bark, I’d give it more time. If, at the end of the growing season nothing happens, then it might be a concern.

We planted a Orient pear last year, and seemed like it took months before anything green popped out. This year it seems like it’s made up for lost time, as it has new branches and leaves everywhere.

1 Like

Thanks! Glad to know there’s hope.

1 Like

You have to email them by a certain time, if it is indeed dead, to secure a replacement for next season.

2 Likes

Raintree give you a full year. They even gave me 14 months. But I did email in advance that I thought the tree might not make it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

Did your tree leaf out? I have the same situation here.

rain tree gives a year- one green world gives you until July 14. stark bros a year. burnt ridge gives a year.

give it time. my harrow delight put in the ground last month isn’t breaking bud yet or showing leaves, but it’s green. I’ll wait until mid summer to worry

I had a bare root apple tree from home depot take until august to leaf out, weirdest thing it went on to flower in September. I suspect the roots were badly damaged, it was one of those field dug then potted up ones where the hacked off roots are in a burlap bag in a pot, like a fake potted tree. The tree was definitely in poor health, maybe it had started to leaf out and then was shocked somehow during handling with cold or water stress. Similar I think to how I’ve had transplants go from under grow lights to outside and then defoliate if they aren’t harden off right, and then the tree is alive but stays dormant for the whole summer. Those transplants broke dormancy the next spring and went on to grow fine. I think my home depot tree died that winter but it maybe could have survived if I had fertilized it earlier or pruned it back heavily to balance out with what root system could support. So it’s possible for an apple tree to leaf out months after planting.

1 Like