Bartlett pear as rootstock

I did not realize there were some Georgia heritage Pears. And since it’s only a few varieties; I just need a few root stock. We have the invasive pears all over but wish to avoid adding them to the landscape here. I noticed you can get Bartlett dirt cheap from a number of forestry programs.

But would Bartlett be a good choice?

It was once a common pear rootstock. It is perfectly fine for a standard-sized tree. I got some many years ago as it is all I could find. It is always Bartlett seedling (or maybe even other seeds), so there is more variability than with a clone. That said, I didn’t notice much difference in vigor from the roots.

1 Like

I noticed many Forestry programs are awash in Bartlett seedlings this year. Seemed one had 36,000 of them…gheez. I have no problem with size. I just need to get enough to graft out the scions. I hate the idea of wasting one piece.

I can order them before May; and have them ready for next spring.

Wish I had thought and ordered some from Treco.

Interesting. It hadn’t occurred to me, but perhaps some people supposedly growing Bartlett are growing a seedling from Bartlett.

Our neighbors have a Bartlett like pear whose fruit are bland and watery. Generally not worth eating. I assumed it was from overbearing and lack of pruning and such, which it very well may be. But I suppose it could also just be a seedling.

I am probably going to let some of the Bartletts grow out as pears for canning. Are they good for fresh eating?

If they are Bartlett seedlings they are not Bartletts. Please don’t call them Bartletts.

2 Likes

Pear, Common Bartlett 1-0 (Pyrus communis ‘Bartlett’)

That is what they are selling them as. $85 for 50 plants is fairly cheap to me.

1 Like

Seems like a clever way to get a lot of rootstock. I mean even if you don’t want 50 standard sized trees, you can graft them, and let them grow for awhile just to produce an abundance of more scion wood.

1 Like

Well they say they like a little moisture; so I thought maybe use a few to replace some of the pines around the pond.

1 Like

Yeah, good as wildlife trees too.

1 Like