Be I Gravenstein?

Hi all! First timer here with huge fruit aspirations but little real experience - hoping for some YAs or NAYs or other identification advice as I try to narrow down the identification of a mystery apple tree I inherited. 2018 has been its first big year and I have plenty of samples to study.

I believe it’ is nearly ripe at end of july/early august which is probably the biggest clue.
Other “clues”: falls off tree easily (even before ripeness), browns quickly, small amount of russet around stem
Flavor (near ripe): nicely tart, good amount of juice, medium crunchiness. Made a nice little pie

Thanks for any help! Any Gravensteiners out there???
Cheers!

3 Likes

Are the Japanese beetles making lace of the tree? That’s what distinguishes my Red Gravenstein from my other varieties.

1 Like

The bottom left one looks like my Gravenstein. Mines not red Gravenstein. It’s the finest apple, especially for an early one.

3 Likes

Havent had many pest issues yet! Hope the JBs never show up on my property

Thanks! Looks like there a couple different varieties of Gravensteins so maybe I’ve got a red one?? So far I like them pretty well. I don’t think they are at peak ripeness yet, maybe another week if they stay on the darn tree…

This ^

1 Like

My Gravensteins fall early mostly because of its very short stem. If I don’t prune to only one Apple in a cluster they will just push each other off when growing. I wish they had longer stems.

1 Like

Probably Red Gravenstein.

“Red Gravenstein is a sport of Gravenstein. As its name suggests, it is redder in color, and a little less tart. It was first cited in 1873.”

1 Like

this could fit my mystery tree here. have had loads fall before they’re ripe and I definitely didn’t thin like I should’ve (tree is a neglected 20 foot spindly monster)
Thanks!