Beer and Tea Garden

I grew so Bee balm and need to grow it again. It has a pleasant turpentine flavor. I have Hyssop also but I never heard of anise Hyssop I will have to check it out.

2 Likes

Anise hyssop is agastache and is a crazy good nectar producer. Also smells amazing and makes a great tea nice and drought tolerant and pretty spike blossoms.

Raspberry leaf helps ladies with cramps and hormone regulation (including menopause, pregnancy and pms)

1 Like

Hops root is often sold in four inch segments. NO worries.

my Tea and Salal really grew well this fall and mild winter. I think there was more growth then during the summer infact.

5 Likes

Nice! If you donā€™t mind sharing, how did you start the Rosa rugosa? And can you make any suggestion for germinating their seeds? Been considering but it seems some people say theyā€™re difficult to start from seed

I did not start seeds. I bought starter plants from Raintree. Some Reds, whites and pink scabrosa, Frau Dagmar. All where reported to have flavorful hips. I will be happy to send you seeds this fall if want to try to start them.

1 Like

:+1::grin: Have you tried Roselle? It may be zone pushing but itā€™s very ornamental and has many uses.

I love it. but I have not tried to grow it. I always plan to start seeds early and put them out but never get around to it. My wifes family grows it and sells there surplus.

2 Likes

Roselle grows well as an annual. I grew it for a few years in Kansas. Iā€™ll probably try it here in NH as well, but I think it needs short days to bloom, so it may be iffy.

Yes I grew it last year, didnā€™t start blooming until maybe late September/October and ground to a halt at the first light freeze.
Pretty while it is going though. Prolific seeder. Iā€™m planning to grow a lot more this year.

1 Like

I grew this variety, which is less daylight sensitive:

They say midsummer in Virginia, but I think it was more like July or August for me in Kansas.

1 Like

Thanks,
I may get some of those too.

Reports of successes growing Camellia sinensis in Pennsylvania, and my own successes growing C. japonica motivated me to try growing tea plants this year. I ordered 2 Korean varieties and will get a Sochi tea plant locally. They came in the mail today. C. sinensis is easily propagated via cuttings so Iā€™ll make backups in case they fail during a bad winter.

5 Likes

blushing maiden has nice pink blossoms but is not strong grower for me.

This is in containers right? Or are they in the ground? I would love to try growing Camellia sinensis outdoors if it can survive 5b winters.

5B is pushing. In Zone 7 NJ, Winter unprotected 2018 there was major damage from wind and cold but all survived. 2019 winter was very mild and I had lots of growth. Wind protection I think is most important.

C. japonica grows fine in the ground in my part of Pennsylvania. There is a member on here who grows C. sinensis for several years in the ground and has very large bushes in a neighboring county. Iā€™d say heā€™s probably in 6b.

What is the lowest temp for your winters?

Sometimes we go down to -3 or -4 degrees for a night or 2. A lot of winters stay above zero though. We are considered right at the border of 6b and 7a.

Interestingā€¦ Itā€™s similar temperatures due to the lake effect though we have had -15 to -20 on a rare night. I wonder if Sochi has any particular flavor profile.