Beer and Tea Garden

The cultivar, the soil, the water, the side of the slope of the mountain, if the tea was picked by trained monkeys, the time of day the monkeys pick. Everything factors in flavor profile.

The final product is based on processing. Black, oolong and green have each been fermented for a diffrent length of time. The fermentation done with environmental bacteria so what around your home will be diffrent from anything I grow.

holly cow, (no offence)

Both Salal and camelia sinesis are Fall/Winter growers. There was more growth over winter then the previous 3 years combined.

The red flowered Blushing maiden suffered breaks likely from falling snow.

5 Likes

Whoa did you build a makeshift shelter or was your winter that calm or is this the new winter growth habit?

They where uncovered and burred under 2+ft of snow for the last month. 2019 the tea’s set fruit pods and matured seeds in 2020. 2020 they did not set fruit(fall blooming). Tea’s take nearly 10 months to mature there fruit so I don’t think the lack of setting caused the growth.

Everyone can move there Tea discussion over here if they like

@Robert @cousinfloyd @hambone

This my Sochi in the for ground and two other cultivars in the background all doing rather nicely in Zone 7 NJ.

@cousinfloyd I checked out some of the kindle preview and it looks well put togather but. how much of the book Grow Your Own Tea: The Complete Guide to Cultivating, Harvesting, and Preparing is history and how much is How to?

4 Likes

Is this in DC? US Arboretum has good camellia collection, fun to visit. Re-planted after the Great Freeze of 76/77 that killed all but C. olifeira, so Dr. Ackerman used it to breed cold hardy cultivars. Just a digression. Steve

I am from DC, but this is at my home in NJ.

2 Likes

I am really starting to appreciate Camellias for there fall flowers.

3 Likes