Beginner Grafting Guide

My basic understanding of graft compatibility: apple and crabapple; pear and quince; stone fruit and stone fruit; Asian and native persimmon; European and Asian pear.

There may be some exceptions to this, but in general it’s how it works.

You can convert Bradford pears to European pear (in most cases) thereby eliminating a destructive invasive species.

3 Likes

I have successfully grafted 3 Seed grown Callery pears int Asian and 1 European fruiting pear

Thanks for the rabbit hole to fall down!

1 Like

Ok so the theme I’m seeing in that reference is fruit tree rootstock, not random trees like oak or pine (like in my woods). I saw an almond - peach grafted tree, so is the rule of thumb broader, like edible trees only?

It also seems like there’s a certain attitude of meh let’s try it and see what happens. Grafting isn’t going to hurt a healthy tree (unless one cuts it off completely like I saw in some videos), right?

Oh thank you! That’s really helpful!

I’ve heard several people kvetch about invasive Bradford pear, so I’ll steer clear. Any other invasive fruit trees I should steer clear of?

Almond, plum, peach, nectarines, and their hybrids are closely related enough that they can be grafted together using the proper rootstock.

2 Likes

My Callery per could either be grafted with something great or been cut down and re-cut the stump sprouts for the next 5,000 years. I chose 1 hour of grafting care over 1000 hours of rootstock stump sucker cutting.

@IntrepidNewbie I would check with your local extension office for invasive info and help with other topics.

Each county has an extension office with ag/hort knowledge plus a state extension website like this one for Maryland:

@thejunkpunks Is chip budding peaches more successful than grafting scions?

1 Like

Yes, and maybe moreso here because you’ll want to graft when the weather is warm, like daytime low 80s, and peach dormant scions don’t seem to keep well.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t have thought of almonds being related to stone fruit. But no other nuts, right?

Next time you eat a stone fruit, try cracking open the pit with a nut cracker. Don’t eat it (most are toxic), but you’ll see the almond resemblance!

2 Likes

Almond tree…. Nuts grow inside the “peach-looking” fruit.

5 Likes

I believe Almonds are actually a seed - like a peach pit but much tastier.

3 Likes

Whoa

Obviously you missed agriculture or gardening classes in school…
but if the desire to learn stays with you, then you’ll get there!
(A lot of trial and error has gone into
the information some people share freely.)

Until I read about multi grafting on this forum I had no idea almonds were related to stone fruits. It’s not a subject discussed unless you go to school for agriculture.

6 Likes

@IntrepidNewbie It surprised me when I first discovered it too.
Culinary vs botanical terminology where a nut is not a nut and vegetable that is actually a fruit can be really confusing.

2 Likes

@murky
Jafar - I thought I read somewhere that grafting scions to stone fruit is best done when they are in bloom? No?
I had about 40% success with grafting scions - and not buds - to peach and nectarine trees. I probably didn’t wait until it was warm enough. I stuck with peach and nectarine scionwood. I’ve never tried bud-grafting, but maybe this year I will.

I am having a hard time deciding WHEN to go out and prune. And - I have confused myself as to when I started last year. !

I want to cut my scion trades at the same time . . . and am afraid to do it all too early - but also afraid that things will break dormancy before I get out there.

Is there any ‘sound’ way to judge the schedule? We are getting ready to have some freezing temps. Maybe after that spell passes? Like end of Jan - beginning of Feb?

Karen,
I have kept a couple years of bud break notes that you may find helpful. The early ones are like the canary, letting me know about when the others are likely to break:
2021 schedule:
Jan 15 Roadside Cherry plum flower buds swelling
Jan. 15: Sour cherry flower buds swelling.
Feb 16: yellow plum flower buds swelling
Feb. 16: Honeyberry flowers opening!

2020 schedule:
Mar 1 Honeyberry blossoms
Mar 14 Peach and Yellow plum blossoms
Mar 14 Fig tip buds breaking
Mar 21 wild Plums and Sour Cherry bud break
Mar 23 Chocolate and Bills persimmon buds break
Mar 23 Pears breaking bud and blossoms
Mar 24 Sweet Cherries breaking buds.
Mar 24 All apples but Honeycrisp breaking bud.
Mar 30 Fig lateral buds beginning to break ( 2 weeks after tips!)
Apr 1: Sour cherry blossoms break about two weeks after sweet cherrys
Apr 6: Geneva Mirabelle leaf buds break

Note: This has been helpful to estimate about when I need to cut scions, and about when I can graft: Note: Since grafts typically need about 2-3 weeks to heal before flow of nutrients can occur, delay grafts onto the rootstock until about 2 weeks prior to bud breaks!
Hope this helps, of course your climate may affect your plants differently.
Dennis