Beginner Grafting Guide

I have several different types of silicone tape that were sent to me by one our former members. They are all strong and stretch well. I have enough to last awhile so I never shopped or investigated the various types sold. They are probably all the same except for thickness and width. Some types are sold in automotive stores for repairing radiator hose damage so they are strong.

1 Like

One of us will have to try the other tape to get an accurate comparison. The problem is that we are both already happy with what we use.

I purchased some of the silicone tape for emergency repairs on hoses for heavy equipment at work. I think that the temflex I keep trying to peddle is a very similar product, but significantly less expensive. I will try a couple of pieces this spring on trees I intend to plant at our office and report back with my opinion. Does the silicone have significant stretch? The temflex stretches probably 5 times itā€™s original length (or less if you need less tension).

I just cut a 3inch piece and stretched it to 9 inches but it took a high amount of force and that would probably be too much force on a graft. 3 inches stretched to 6 inches would give a strong tight union. The advantage for me is that it doesnā€™t have adhesive (plus I got it for free :slightly_smiling_face:). It only sticks to itself. Actually anything that will hold the graft tight works. Some people just use kitchen plastic wrap.

1 Like

The temflex is very lightly adhesive, less than standard electric tape. Most of that property goes away when I stretch for grafting and it sticks to itself.

1 Like

Dennis,
Did the stuff come from Appleseed?He sent me about five different rolls.Two Iā€™ve tried so far and am still using.They too,have no adhesive,but stick to themselves,are like a rubber band,but donā€™t need to be tied,at the last wrap.Also,when it comes time to remove,they peel off easily.He may have been an electrician and used them in his trade.

3 Likes

Yes, Appleseed was nice to send them to me. Donā€™t know what happened to him.

1 Like

Which Temflex are using? 3m has over a dozen vinyl ectrical tapes including I think 4 versions of Temflex. Some Temflex have strong adhesives according to 3M. They also have rubber tapes that would work. Iā€™m sure they would all work for grafting if used properly. Anyone want to buy 25 3M tapes and compare them. Sometimes I think we have too many choices.

1 Like

Yeah, one year I used lunch bags and also bags topsoil came inā€“cut into thin stripsā€“and grafted using those.
More girdling if I didnā€™t remove in a couple months, but other than that detail, certainly did the job.

1 Like

A question about graft heights- what do I do with different type trees? I have only grafted apple and pear- was pretty successful with various rootstocks. There is a lot on the site about what height to graft and plant these depending on your goals- but what about other trees? There isnā€™t the info out there. I donā€™t need to worry about a long interstem for dwarfing, since there is none for home grafters.
I am going to start with plum, peach, persimmon this year, and donā€™t know details. I have- Myrobalan29 [Prunus cerasifera], Halford peach, American persimmon, Prunus mahaleb. Grafting apricots, peaches, plums, persimmons, sour cherry. My Manchurian apricot order was canceled, so unless I find it, thatā€™s it. I am grafting and rooting Adara- I know I plan to do that as low as I can. Same plant species, and I want it to root.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Temflex-2155-Rubber-Splicing-22-ft/3129711

Iā€™m pretty sure 2155 is what Iā€™ve been using. It is probably 3x as thick as standard vinyl electric tape but stretches thin.

Iā€™ve only grafted persimmon from your new list and I plan to try rooting some peach cuttingsā€¦ On the persimmons, I just grafted whatever height my tool matched with the scions, usually about 6-9 inches up. Maybe someone else can give a better answerā€¦

I believe peach will not do well from cuttings, according to what Iā€™ve found. I plan on a multi-trial [or seat of the pants trial] Apricot and peach on Halford peach seedling, peach tops to Adara. I have no idea if Halford seedlings are compatible, but Halford itself is. Hereā€™s hoping I can foil the borers! If it works, I will probably go with Adara roots.
I just donā€™t want any suckering or problems with the Asian persimmons on American rootstock.

1 Like

@franc1969 Former member Alcedo had success with rooting peach. He had a website with the information and posted some of it here. I saved some of his information and will put it in the guide section if it is not there now.

2 Likes

Peaches I hear are very difficult to graft successfully so be sure to search for keys to success there. Temperature is key I think, have not done it tho.

1 Like

That is one of the reasons I plan to try rooting cuttings @hambone. If Iā€™m going to have low success with grafting regardless of how well I do, I might as well try rooting cuttings since 1. I can control the climate in my house and 2. I have a lot more chances available with much less effort and 3. Everything Iā€™ve read leans towards rootstock choices not being as important for peaches as many other fruits.

2 Likes

To up rates of grafts lower on the tree I recommend notching/ partial Girling of the bark just above grafted branches will stop flow of suppressing hormones and let them try and take off (they think theyā€™re the top of the tree) skillcult did a video on using it to cause good branching and it works like a hot damn

1 Like

Is this what you are referring to?

I think this must be the video you are referring to

At the end he mentions a series on training fruit trees using this method. I found it too

3 Likes

Iā€™ve seen Skillcultā€™s demo of that . . . but never tried it. Yet. Think this might be the year!
Each year I seem to add a big skill to my ā€˜bag of tricksā€™ for growing fruit successfully.
Itā€™s fun . . . and most of it is working for me. My ā€˜branchingā€™ needs some attention, tho!

2 Likes