Bench grafting mulberry

Does anybody have experience with bench grafting mulberry? I’ve successfully bench grafted apples and cherry but not sure how well it will work with mulberry. Thanks!

Mulberry roots so readily, why would you want to bench graft it?

This is a common misconception. Even among albas and rubras some cultivars root easier than others. Morus nigra is extremely difficult to root, and this is the one I’m dealing with.

1 Like

I was more successful with summer grafting or very late spring grafting (in may) morus nigra to alba rootstock. Budding didn’t work at all.
Overall I had low success rates and I am not sure why.
Hope you get better rates. It would be interesting to hear about your experiences after your trials.

1 Like

I have 100% success rate field grafting nigra on alba in early- to mid-April (Zone 9b). The question is not for me, but for somebody whom I sent nigra scionwood. Their field grafting time is much later (early June) and the viability of scionwood till then is an issue, hence the question about bench grafting.

Maybe early to mid april in your 9b translates into mid to late may in my 7a/b. At that time my rootstock are actively growing already. I had aprox 30% success at that time and later. Earlier field grafts didn’t work for me.
How far are your rootstocks early april and which method do you prefer?

1 Like

I have not had to deal with nigra. I only have Alba and I have a rubra on order for spring. I have not tried nigra. If you ever have any cuttings you want to part with I could try grafting them onto my alba. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Buds started to push on rootstocks — out of dormancy but not much growth yet. Both cleft grafts (on water sprouts) and bark grafts (on thick top-worked stumps) worked for me.

1 Like

Sure, PM me for details.

Thank you, I will do more tests next year. Maybe it was just the quality of my rootstocks. Next year I will graft to better established roots.

1 Like

Another factor to consider is that any growth from the rootstock needs to be rubbed off promptly.

1 Like

don’t think I’ve ever had any success rooting dormant-collected cuttings of any of my rubra or rXa hybrids, but i dont have a greenhouse or bottom heat mat.
rooting success has been almost zerp for M.rubra at any time of year, and well below 20% for any of the hybrids, in midsummer, but I’ll admit I pretty much stick 'em and neglect 'em except for occasional watering.
have not tried bench grafting… just a simple bark graft after understocks have broken dormancy usually works well. Couple of partial girdling knife cuts below the graft helps diminish bleeding…and may concentrate auxins to accelerate callusing (idk for sure 'bout that claim).

1 Like