Berries Unlimited Honeyberry Plants

One of them was covered in mildew and has not had any new growth so, I thought it might be root bound or too wet. I carefully dug it up and it had plenty of new roots even if the above ground part looked like crap.

My local weather in zone 5 has been very mild. We have had like 2 days this year above 80f. We have had decent rain and many cool days. I thought they only went dormant when it was too hot. I will be disappointed if these look like terrible the rest of the growing season.

Yes, itā€™s going to look like that the rest of the growing season. Be prepared to be disappointed. Sometimes you get a plant and it doubles in size and has a lot of bright green new growth (plant is at the start of itā€™s growing season), and other times it has already started its summer dormancy and looks beat up and sad and thatā€™s how it is going to look until winter hits.

Next year they will look great and be more in tune with your local weather. It doesnā€™t matter what plant you get- the first year is always an investment year. You are investing in the roots. As you stated, the roots are growing which is all you should care about at this point.

No one buys honeyberries because they are gorgeous landscape plants- in fact itā€™s quite the opposite.

One of my coworkers bought 8 berries unlimited plants. I went through my pics and found what they looked like. He thought they were all dead. The first pic is August. Second pic is how it looked about three weeks ago.

1 Like

Well, we are almost at the end of the season. How do the honeyberries you got from BU and HB-USA look now?

They all still look terrible. Not only the ones from BU but also ones from HB-USA. Maybe I suck at transplanting them. None of the plants I put in the ground added any growth this year. Most have very limited foliage. Like 5 leafs on some. They are planted in 1/3 day sun locations.

1 Like

Well, generally speaking they usually donā€™t look so hot by the end of the season. I was really just wondering if they survived, which it sounds like they did (yay!). You will probably find them looking much better next spring. Iā€™m going to try to go out and get some pictures of some of mine planted in various spots and post them here later on. Thanks for your reply. :slight_smile:

Edited to add link to posted pictures.

1 Like

Post some pics. First year is always a write off year. And then post pics next spring when they come out of dormancy.

@PatrickMD @TheDerek Has anyone had a sample of the berries unlimited honeyberries yet? Curious how they compare to Aurora I thought these were good and want to get more but these new varieties sound tempting too. The shipping sounds unimpressive but they sure make their varieties sound superior.

i havenā€™t harvested enough fruit from my BU plants to give a good opinion of them but i feel more comfortable recommending the U of S varieties so far, their breeding program appears to me superior, growing thousands of plants to make selections fromā€¦ id buy and grow a few BU plants yourself before investing in a large quantity

3 Likes

I was not impressed with the BU plants at all. Small fruit, nothing special as far as flavor. They also have little fruit compared to the Canadian cultivars, or the Thompson cultivars. I thought the Canadian cultivars are the best but the Thompson cultivars are decent, big fruit, decent production. Taste is tart but good. The BU cultivars seem more like wild plants which typically have small fruit and sparse production. If it walks like a duckā€¦

3 Likes

Any update since your previous posts?

Any updates?

Maybe stress in hot truck during transit got to your leafed-out honeyberry plants? It happens.