"Best" apricot for New England (6b)?

I knew this was coming :joy:… Have you worked as a teacher before? My dad is a retired professor and he never let a mistake goes not corrected…

:rofl: :laughing: There is a cherry named Selah, so I wanted to prevent possible confusion.

@Stan With your apricot season almost over; it would be helpful to indicate which varieties produced a reasonable crop with the low chill winter that you had. As you know, chilling information for many varieties is either lacking or inaccurate.

Wow, fantastic looking tree! Very inspiring.

Can you tell us a little about how you manage growth on it? The main side branches look pretty thick so I assume they are some years old. How to you prune in order to continue getting new fruiting wood out of the older branches?

Thank you! Once the tiers/scaffolds are established, I just prune it down to 3-7 buds from the main scaffold. When these buds create branches and they fruit, I prune each one down again to 3-7 buds. This variety is very vigorous, so easy to train.

I did remove the tree this year to redesign my garden.

Thank you! The fruit cover on this tree is - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVYZOVZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have the medium size

Here is a video on a couple of fruit tree covers I tested out last year - https://youtu.be/pfoFXiig-Kw
The video description has links to all the fruit tree covers.

This year, these varieties had full crop (in the order of ripening): Nicole, Tomcot, Harcot, Anya Seedling W08, Moorpark, Shekar Pareh, Alameda Hemskirke, Paiwand, Supkhani, Blenheim, Tilton.

Some varieties are on small grafts and produced fruits, but difficult to judge how good the crop was due to small sample size.

Thank you so,much, your video is excellent, can you please spell the name of the company for the first net .

Tierra Garden Haxnicks Fruit Tree Cover
I bought it on Amazon.

Thank you. I was looking at the apricots this week in our market. They are very oval and the size of small mangoes! They are huge. No name on the box.:disappointed_relieved:they were really good!

@Stan, getting together for a taste test next year at your place is a great idea! And thanks for correcting the apricot name, I have been to busy to go out and check the tag, and it’s been super hot until today, 105 on Sunday, hottest day of the year here so far and I would bet it does not get that hot until next year. I knew the name started with an S and ended with an H.:slightly_smiling_face:

Picked a Chinese/Mormon apricot from a container grown tree, 18 brix. These are generally considered only “fair” tasting, but this one was pretty good. The tree is in a large root pouch and I had trouble keeping it properly watered during several weeks of upper 80’s-mid 90’s temps, but it was fairly juicy. It was also a decent size, about 2" diameter.

I am sorry that I “ misremembered” a varietybof the remaining apricots. They are Hoyt Montrose, not Zard.

Last year @ztom posted pic of his Zard. He may have them this year, too. My Zard flowers obviously did not survive the late freeze.

Yesterday, I realized that there were two apricots on Moniqui’s graft. They looked pale yellow so I thought they were not ripe.

Today I checked them again and they fell off. Turned out Moniqui is a white apricot!! No wonder they never turned orange☺️ Yes, I am that clueless.

They were over ripe. However, they tasted very good even with very soft texture. Skin was a bit thick. Picky eaters may want to peel it. Both were sweet and I detected some aroma. Brix was 17 (the cut one) and 18 (the bigger one). They were nice size for apricots at 2.5 oz.
A very nice find for me.

@SMC_zone6,
Not sure if it was you who asked me about this one. The answer is yes, it is worth having this variety.

Looks like my Blenheim on the same date. 4 days later I’m got down to 18F I got 1 Apricot

Here’s my very late apricots, Hoyt Montrose. I think they were lare because they were grafted on a small branch that is in shade for most of the day, double whammy.

They were on a dry side but still tasted like apricots.

@BobVance. How did your Hoyt Montrose taste?

Sugar Pearls is finally ripe here. Lots of fruit. Juicy and sweet. Brix is 19 to 23 with most in the 20 to 21 range. Love these white apricots!