Best grafting sealant

So far I have only persuaded one friend in 40 years to take up grafting. I think they see it as a quaint, antiquated practice. Or they’re more than happy to let me graft all their trees.

1 Like

Yeah that’s it! It’s like the guy at the party who can roll good! :sunglasses:

1 Like

i have grafted 100’s of trees and i have found forestry flagging tape and toilet bowl wax ring wax work as good or better then the commercial products there is truly no need for expencive products

3 Likes

2 years ago I was doing a few bench grafts (apple).
After I started I realized I didn’t have any sealant.
I used my wife’s craft glue gun and they all took.

3 Likes

grafting is truly a simple process and the trees really dont care what we use just hold the joints together and keep the air out and nature will do its part

4 Likes

Does anyone have any thoughts on IV Organic 3-in-1 plant guard? For the only grafting job I’ve had so far, that’s what I used. But I have nothing to compare to. I bought Treekote Grafting Wax for the future…later tonight to be the first try.

Sometimes when I cleft graft I fill the crack with tree koat or similar, And it provides firm and uniform coverage of the cleft but also most of my hand by the time I’m through, as mentioned it seems to be impossible not to make Skin contact with it. The other thing I will do sometimes is to simply take Parafilm and wrap w 2-3 strips of it, winding through the cleft and around in a series of figure-eights that eventually covers all or most of the cleft and helps hold. Not ideal but well over 90% effective without me looking like i am part holstein.

For most of my grafting though I just do bark or whip and tongue with parafilm only, Occasionally putting tar over very thin scions as parafilm rots and breaks too fast sometimes

I believe the homemade version of Doc Farwell’s is a mix of wood glue and latex paint.

1 Like

@Andy do you know what the ratio would be?
Brett

@AndySmith do you know what the ratio is?

I’ve been using a 50/50 mix, but I think you could go more toward a 1:2 mix glue to paint. I’ve been using paint samples and TiteBond.

1 Like

Thanks Andy I’ve been wanting to give it a try just wasn’t sure how to mix it.

Thanks Brett

GnarlyPippins just had this on Instagram- he uses 1-2 wood glue to exterior latex, mixed by hand in quantities to be used soon-ish. It gets weird if mixed too fast (by machine) or sits too long. Screaming obvious blue is his preferred color.

I typically use parafilm and then smear toilette bowl wax over the top with my fingers to make sure its sealed well, seems to work for me…

1 Like

Could someone tell me why I should not simply find an old can of exterior latex paint, dredge up some of the unmixed thick gunk at the bottom of the can, and smear it on a fair-sized persimmon stump with multiple bark grafts planted in it??

Confession… I already did it! Hope I don’t regret the experiment. :worried:

2 Likes

Im thinking the thick stuff at the bottom is likely to be more coloring and less latex? Id think silicone caulk might work well tho, the non water soluble kind…

You may be right, I did not see the silicone caulk discussions earlier. Whatever it was, the stuff dried to a smooth, dull sheen that was quite water-repellent in about an hour. All I can do now is wait and see if it worked. I figure, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

1 Like

Ray pick up doe wound stop or another blood clotting powder to keep on hand it’s really useful

@rayrose this was for you.

@Chill1448 Welcome!

Recently I ordered and used Tree Kote and I was very disappointed with the results.

Hmm, I don’t seem to be able to edit post 2. Maybe because its over a certain age?

I meant to say Doc Farwell’s Grafting Seal, it’s yellow. The Heal and Seal is very similar, and I’ve use too. It’s green. It may be a little thicker/tougher.

1 Like