Best male hardy kiwi?

Thank you for accepting me on the forum! I’ve been a long time reader but haven’t made an account until just now. I keep reading about hardy kiwi on this forum and its quite exciting the idea of growing a tropical tasting fruit in my climate. But I also have read a lot of people lose their male hardy kiwis and they are less vigorous than the females. Is there a “gold standard” male hardy kiwi that flowers for longer, is vigorous and very cold hardy that is generally recommended? I’m considering getting an Anna and Geneve-3 hardy kiwi females.

1 Like

Meader Male does well for me, it is quite widely distributed too

1 Like

Thank you! Meader definitely came up the most when looking for named male cultivars, looks like its for a reason.

Most retail nurseries just sell a “generic” male hardy kiwi so you don’t know what variety they actually are. For me, the result has been that I now have a few super “studs” which could easily pollinate dozens of female hardy kiwi plants while some of my other male hardy kiwis are less vigorous and will not infrequently have whole branches just die off for no apparent reason. Understand the Geneva variety male is a good one, but if I ever need any more males I will propagate them using cuttings from my super studs and not worry about what variety they might be.