Best Paw Paw Variety

I will be ordering a potted paw paw tree from Raintree Nursery, my question is, which variety should I buy?

1 Like

Mango, Shenandoah, and Overleese. They are all excellent but the Mango is the fastest grower of the three. You still need 2 for cross pollination.

Tony

2 Likes

Maria’s Joy is another to consider.

2 Likes

Allegheny is tops.

You’ll need two for cross-pollination. Consider Shenandoah, my second favorite.

4 Likes

Oh no… I don’t have room for a second tree.

You can buy one tree and graft another variety on one of the branch the following year. Problem solved.

Tony

1 Like

Also,from reading,I understand the varieties,Sunflower and Prima 1216 are self fertile. Brady

2 Likes

I:haven’t tried that many but I have Overlease and Sunflower and Sunflower is much the superior fruit as it performs here.

The problem is that I rely on the nursery where trees are purchased to sell me the varieties true-to-name. Only time of ripening gives any clear indication of cultivars I’ve grown being accurately labeled.

Sunflower ripens a month later here than Overlease and I believe it to be more orange with less of the very slight bitterness common to paw paws. More importantly, it ripens when I need another luscious type fruit. I picked them yesterday- at least a week later than normal.

2 Likes

Thank you all for your suggestions. I decided to order “Sunflower” Paw Paw.

1 Like

Has anyone tried that KSU-Atwood variety that is supposed to bear so heavily?

I’m not sure I need another, but given that only 1 of mine produces in significant amounts I thought I might consider adding another somewhere and if it’s good and very productive, all the better.

Scott

I haven’t tried KSU-Atwood,but here is an old GW thread that mentions the fruit and some others. Brady
http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1486067/best-tasting-pawpaw-varieties

3 Likes

Hidden Spring Nursery is offering a variety called Lehman’s Chiffon. Anyone heard of this before? They say it’s Jerry Lehman’s cross of Prolific X Sunflower.

I’ve seen 2 varieties of 10 year old Paw Paws planted in the same hole for cross pollination and they looked fabulous, loads of fruit too. (Not to mention he dumped all his dog poo under it to ensure fly attraction for pollination). Can’t speak to which variety they were. We’ve got Susquehanna & Potomac in the ground, no fruit yet.

2 Likes

Anyone got Allegheny seeds, given it won this taste test?

10-35 AKA Tallahatchie

1 Like