Best plant identifier app?

is there a particular plant identifier app that you love and does it work for trees?

thanks!

4 Likes

It’s not really a plant identifier app, but Google Lens works remarkably well to at least get you in the right ballpark (genus or at least family), especially for flowers or solitary leaves. But it’s far from foolproof, especially for things with common shapes or colors.

I like plantnet, because you can use it as a phone app or just in a browser.

1 Like

I like Flora Incognita.

1 Like

It correctly identified species when provided photos of Warren Pear leaves, Nikita Feijoa leaves and flowers, and male Kei Apple leaves, thorn, and flowers.

4 Likes

Still, before any important or expensive gardening decisions are made, I would run the images past actual humans. When submitting to humans, do not mention the app results until after human consensus (if any is reached).

3 Likes

PictureThis is my go to. So far I’ve mostly been impressed. It makes mistakes and misses some rarer stuff, but overall it’s quite good.

what is the attached?

1 Like

Wrong topic?
Anyway… Human app - Juglans sp.?

Not sure if you use an iphone or not but they have a built in plant identification software that I’ve found to be pretty accurate.

3 Likes

I was thinking Pawpaw as @a_Vivaldi is showing.

1 Like

Concur it’s a pawpaw, but I’ve never heard the common name “fetid-bush,” I think they would be a lot less popular if that one had caught on!

1 Like

no07 I was interested to see what the apps would do with a live example.

Glad I didn’t mow them yesterday! What app are you referring to “Adam…”? I have an iphone. All the apps I downloaded require a subscription and I’m allergic.

1 Like

PictureThis used to not require a subscription, but now they do if you want to save plant ids. Just as an fyi

@ansayre
This is the Flora Incognita result:

1 Like

PictureThis and PlantNet are the best regarded.

1 Like

I tried to figure that out but couldn’t seem to access the option?

Thanks, I went with picture this and it’s been great.

1 Like

Go to the regular photos app on your iphone. There should be a little i button with a circle around it. Click it and then click look up plant.