Best potted citrus choices?

I have some hardy orange seedlings and was thinking of grafting some of them over, any suggestions for what would be permanently potted trees?

4 Likes

Meyer lemon is usually considered an excellent candidate for pot culture.

I had an Australian finger lime in a pot for many, many years until I had a problem with the house that dragged on for 3 months (Oct - Dec) and was forced to live elsewhere as things were fixed and it was unfortunately neglected.

Scott

2 Likes

Every vender is pushing Meyer lemon trees. They are very hard to grow for MOST people and the majority of them are dead with in a year. The good to grow are Trovita orange, Fukushu kumquat, limequat, Orange frost, arctic frost, Changsha+, Harvey lemon. and a whole lot more.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’ve kept a Persian lime (own roots) alive for a year. It overwintered well indoors, whereas most of my other citrus trees either looked horrible by winter’s end—or gave up the ghost altogether. It actually set a fruit (which I guess I should remove, but I just can’t bring myself to do it!)—and is putting on some new growth besides. The fact that it’s survived my rather inept ministrations so far—and is actually doing something!—does seem to suggest it is pretty tough. Might be worth a try on your rootstock.

My original Meyer was a puny, pitiful, badly rootbound thing that was among my post-winter croak-ees. I got a healthier start this spring. It was one of those deals where you end up receiving two cuttings in one wee pot (apparently common with retail lemons and the like)—these being small, recently rooted and, fortunately, not bound up. I successfully separated the little guys with a sharp knife and got two plants. They’ve grown a lot this season (they’ve just about filled up their 2 gallon root-pruning pots), and I am cautiously (very cautiously) optimistic.

My Fukushu/Changshou (on citrumelo, I think) does indeed seem somewhat more Jeremiah-proof than my Meiwa, as the former came through the winter without looking too awful and is now putting on some healthy growth, while the Meiwa, alas, is no longer with us.

I’m going to try to figure out some better lighting for this winter, and am also considering putting a humidifier in my grow room.

4 Likes

Hey Jeremiah! I’m sure everyone but me probably knows this, but I’ve almost never pot grown anything and I’m intrigued by your very unusual looking pots! What are those? Do those little knobs have a purpose? Just curious. THanks

1 Like

Hi, Kevin! They’re root-pruning pots, or one variety of them anyway. They are pretty weird-looking, like something from a Klingon garden center! I thought citrus might do better in them, since they’re supposed to prevent plants from getting rootbound and they ought to allow the medium to dry out faster. I’m pretty new to pot culture, too—the only other thing I’ve had experience with before the citrus was figs, and they are a heck of a lot less temperamental than citrus (and, even so, I’m still not too good at them!).

1 Like

Got it! And thanks for that. Your reference to them being Klingon-like was funny because its sooo true! I had actually seen air pruning pots before but they didn’t look like this. I bet they aren’t cheap but when I think about it it does makes sense how they could aid in both drying out the medium and reducing roots from circling the pots as easily (ie being root bound).

Like you, I have only done potted figs but I had giant pots and finally tired and hauling them in and out each year. Interestingly, though, I did get my first potted lemon tree this year. It did fabulous until a transferred it to a new, larger pot. I expected some shock and a pause in growth but thought it would take off after a month or so. If didn’t. It just sort of stopped growing. So I guess we are both learning some pot culture this year. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks, Kevin! Good luck to you, too.

my calamondin gave me 4 fruits last winter and has dozens of little ones right now. my kumquat has barely put out any growth in a year but is living. not sure why as theyre in the same potting mix. i also have a miniture mineola in the green house that has flowers right now. just got that one this spring.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info folks!

If i was going to go potted, not meyer lemon it needs a lot more sun than satsuma i have one potted and had one inground too. And lime is the most cold sensative i never did good with key or persian. I would go with a early or mid ripening satsuma. Armstrong satsuma was a good bush style for me and early. Owari was more lanky or tall, and way later, as a kid in louisiana i had 2 inground of it and armstrong. Brown select did good too, mid season ripen. There are other satsumas, my brother planted a miho satsuma recently its supposed to be early ripening.
Sweet kumquat is a good candidate too, i have one potted and had some inground as a kid too.
But satsuma is my pick. I also planted a mandarin but i dont remember the type!

4 Likes

My 2 grafted; on Flying dragon; Fukushu kumquat trees

The other tree

5 Likes

Those kumquats are pictures of deep green health! What type of medium do you have them planted in, and how do you overwinter them? I sure hope mine can look that good one day!

Pine bark much 12mm or less and compost from my compost pile. 50/50 mix.

Over wintered in greenhouse, and grown on top of my roof I feed with 24-8-16 Miracle Grow and ammonium sulfate 21-0-0 neither tree is visible because they have not been grafted yet but they are up there now

2 Likes

Thank you! Sure can’t argue with those results!

2 Likes

I have a Makrut and Kishu mandarin on Flying Dragon that are probably 5 or 6 years old. They fruit yearly for me, and the Makrut grows enough leaves for me to make as much Thai curry as I want. I haven’t done much to them since planting them into their pots after I initially got them.

4 Likes

I have a Gold Nugget Mandarin. In the summer I put it outside and never really have to water it because the rain does the work. In the winter, fall and spring I bring it inside and water it about every two weeks.

1 Like

Where did you get the Gold Nugget?

My wife loves those… (like I need another potted plant…lol)

Scott

1 Like

I got the Gold Nugget from four winds growers. It is a bit more expensive than their other mandarins because they have a patent fee on them. Plus they have increased the price since I got them.

2 Likes

Jesse, I see that you are in Maine. The major challenge of growing potted citrus is winter indoor. I have grown various potted citrus in Chicagoland where has long winter as well and I found the easiest to grow indoor is kumquat on dragon fly rootstock. It less prones to root rot which is the main cause of plants death. Not sure how well your plan of using orange seeding as rootstock might perform. Meyer lemon is a good choice too. Its blossom has very nice scent and it usually blooms indoor which adds interests during the long boring winter. It is best to use grit mix, or very well drain soil by adding a lot of perlite into regular store bought potting soil

6 Likes