I have a 2nd leaf pear on Quince E (eline?) rootstock that is not doing well. I want to cut it off and grow out the dwarfing frost-resistant quince rootstock instead. I have duplicate of that pear already and I need another quince.
Is it better to wait until it’s dormant, or would it heal faster and give me some growth over the rest of the season if I cut it now?
The rootstock is already suckering a bit so it’d have some guide leaves to get it going right away. The caliper is about thumb size.