Best Strawberry Varieties?

Next year will be year 3 for most of mine. My thought is to pot up a bunch of runners this year and transplant them next after ripping all the plants out? Not sure how to do this. The plants are all very clean this year…not much disease or weeds. Runners are shooting out everywhere and spreading around my garden beds.

They do have methods of planting far apart, giving room for runners. But a point comes where you have no room no matter what. What you suggest will work well because you know you have all new plants. They may die in pots overwinter though.
I try to remove all runners, but it is near impossible.Eventually I try and rip out older plants and re-space them. I also remove plants too crowded, weak etc. So I always have a patch going.

1 Like

Ive kept same patch for over 10 years. Seems mine kind of self regulate. Old clumps seem to die after year or two. I direct runners by moving them around & pushing them down in Soil. I weave them back and forth in my patches to keep fresh vines in whole bed. If not one end of bed ends up bare while other has all the vines.
No idea variety, mine came from Saturday Morning Project at HomeDepot. My kids planters got broken so we planted them. After 10 years, yeild is about 1gal /yd2

1 Like

Eight for me. No choice if I wish to keep the cultivars I grow. Most are not sold anymore. Not even sure ARS has them?

Results are in now on Yambu and Rutgers. Rutgers will go. Not very productive and short of flavor. The primary virtue is firmness - it that’s a priority.

I like Yambu better and better throughout the season. VERY productive, and very uniform shape. BIg but not grotesque. I think if I were growing only one variety for sale, it would be Yambu.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. My Rutgers was decent, but it is next to Archer and maybe I got them mixed up? I don’t think so though. I’ll have to try Yambu next time I need some.

That’s interesting. I haven’t tried Yambu. I’ll put it on the ‘maybe’ list for next year. Thanks.

Do you grow Mara Des Bois? I’ve been meaning to add some but keep forgetting.

I have a potted Quinault from last year that i’m hoping starts flowering here. We’ve had some cool nights so i thought it might trigger some flowers but maybe it’s more based on day length.

Flavor has been really good this year because while we’ve had rain, we’ve had nice big gaps of dryness.

I overwintered some strawberries in the garage last winter…it wasn’t good. I think 2 pots survived out of 8 or 10. I’ve had similar luck in the past. From now on i’ll bury them in the garden bed. I’m about done overwintering anything but trees in a garage.

1 Like

I find Rutgers, among other things, too seedy

The great virtue of Yambu is it’s so ATTRACTIVE. Perfect heart shape. Perfect size (for the main crop). Everyone who sees it oooohs and aaaaahs - and I’m sure would buy on sight.

3 Likes

Yes for about 8 years and I need to start over. I have replaced with runners, but I have not in a bit, and production is suffering. Hoping to start a new patch with a few runners.

Any tips on growing day neutral varieties and keeping them going year to year? I have a small bed of Seascape planted. They didn’t do great over the winter. Some survived, but no where near like the everbearing did next to it. I mulched them with about 4 inches of leaves that I raked off this spring.

3 Likes

Malwina is a large, very high quality variety that ripens later in the season. I ran out of space and gave mine away to a coworker who loves them.

2 Likes

I’m hoping to grow some berries for eating, and for wine making. If anyone can help narrow down. Which variety would be best for making strawberry wine? Something that has a strong flavor and aroma, with prob a bit more acid than the average varieties. Not necessarily the sweetest, as sugars will be added for the fermentation, and it will be fermented dry or just off dry, so the flavor has to stand on its own without the sweetness. On that note, firmness and texture wouldn’t be a factor, nor fruit size as much as quantity of quality berries for juice extraction.

Malwina is in it’s 3rd year for me, this one comes thru the winter just fine in zone 2b. It is worth a try for those in colder zones.

3 Likes

It was my first harvest year for strawberries here. I found that Jewel starts ripening just a few days after Earliglow, and that Flavorfest starts a few days after Jewel. FF and Jewel vary in size but are mostly a decent size, with FF being larger. Both can be tasty. Earliglow is just too small and with too small of a yield, I don’t think I’d grow it again. AC Valley Sunset doesn’t taste as good as the others but they are still better than the grocery store, and they are BIG berries. AC Valley Sunset really extends the season. We started picking berries in the last few days of May. The Jewel and Flavorfest are on the way out but AC Valley Sunset is still producing a small tupperware container full of berries every day. If anyone knows of a better option for the same window as AC Valley Sunset, I’m all ears. But I’m still content.

I know you all love MDB but I’d rather avoid the SWD headache with them. Maybe someday.

MDB is good, but I still like having June bearers, I need them as much as any.

3 Likes

Does anything produce an ok fall crop ever?

Probably some everbearing types. Albion is said to have excellent taste. In the hot summer they produce a few, but can pick up in the fall. Still it’s not like a summer bearing crop for sure. I much prefer June bearers as they produce like crazy.

Malwina is supposed to have excellent flavor and is late. I have not tried it.
https://www.noursefarms.com/product/malwina/

1 Like

Nourse says it’s at least 7 days later than Record, which is even later than AC Valley Sunset. Looks like this would make AC Valley Sunset a “mid” strawberry in my yard.

1 Like