Best Strawberry Varieties?

i had evie 2 that produced good in aug - sept. not as much as the junebearers but it was nice to have strawberries that time of year. berries were good sized and tasty.

1 Like

I really like Tristar. They keep pumping out berries from June until hard frost, I’ve had ripe strawberries as late as early November where I’m at north of Minneapolis.

2 Likes

LOL! It is a late, Nourse sells it and describes flavor as good. They describe Malwina’s flavor as excellent.

1 Like

I’ll add evie2/tristar to my list. Would love to extend the season.

2 Likes

I did a search and found little to no information… but I just ordered ‘Charlotte’ which is supposedly Mara des Bois’ big sister.

Description i found online:
Charlotte is a French variety obtain from a cross between Mara des Bois and Cal 19, a Californian selection. This variety has very good hardiness and good productivity. Berries are blood red, heart-shape of good size and firm with a good shelf life. This variety leaves no one indifferent with a very unique candy like taste that comes out of the ordinary. Charlotte produces highly perfumed berries, with woods and musk aromas, very low acidity and very sweet taste. Plants are vigorous and need little fertilization. Since it was introduced exclusively, Charlotte showed a better tolerance to cold, mites and powdery mildew compared to Seascape.

I bought mine at Gardens Alive (Gurney’s offshoot)…they are currently 10/$10 and the shipping is very fair.

Shipping was $8 for 20 plants via UPS for me.

rutgers scarlet and white d pineberry are the best strawberries periodt.
here is the rutgers scarlet (photo not mine)
download

and here is the white d(photo mine)
241846b17158c89aa57a77d554b1559fe2ec4e89_2_690x920

big delicious berries on the rutgers and interesting white berries with intense strawberry pineapple flavor on the white d

im gonna hybridize rutgers scarlet with white D to improve size and growability on a white strawberry, may take some years and i dont know when ill start but im sure this will make a good cross

good luck finding the white d though unless you know somebody :wink:

enjoy growing strawberries they sure are rewarding

2 Likes

Rutgers D’Light is on my list next… it is their newest release.

Its only being sold by Indiana Berry which doesnt really do it any justice…their description makes you not even want to buy it… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Is anyone growing Improved Rugen? I’m adding a few alpine strawberries to my collection but haven’t seen too many people talking about this variety. I got my yellow wonders started last year and have been enjoying them.

to be honest the jersey trialed rutgers scarlet did well for me, i live in zone 7 NC
they were the most productive reliable and tasty berries i grew

good luck with the d’light hopefully they are equally good or better

Edit: sometimes the point is often moot trying new varieties to grow, but rutgers scarlet definitely made the short list to grow again and again

1 Like

I was happy to see you mention Charlotte. It is a very sweet mid-season strawberry here and a favorite. Right now the Clery are in the marchés. The Garriguettes are pretty much finished. The Clery’s have a long season, next will be Charlotte, then Mara des Bois, and Mariguettes.

Also, I happen to be a huge fan of cane fruits, but I now cannot grow them in pots. Sold my house, land and orchard. I had 12 variétés of raspberry and 6 varieties of blackberry. Not as many as you probably have but it was an excellent cross-section,especially my raspberries. They all grew very well for me.

2 Likes

I think the French know what they are doing on the strawberries… there are wayyy too many varieties for me to try let alone grow… im a fan of Everbearing myself…which is why i choose Charlotte and Mara Des Bois along with Quinalt. I have another variety too that i got last year called Sweet Kiss that may be the best strawberry that i grow. If you read the reviews its nothing but stellar. I totally lucked into them as my local nursery buys from Ball Seed and they had 10 leftover plants that nobody wanted. I got 10 for $1 as they were going to throw them away. They took off for me and blew my other varieties away in leaf size and had excellent first year berries. No runners though.

As for cane fruits… i think i have something like 75 or so varieties and most of them are not sold anymore. I rotate the new ones that come out and give them a try for awhile but these thornless ones with the Lincoln-Logan gene i am not a fan of. I can taste it…has that somewhat off bitter taste. Chad Finn developed a few before he died with the Merton thornless gene…i think they will be much better… but that is too nerdy for a strawberry thread.

So in summary i like my cane fruits thorny and my strawberries to be Everbearing…

Someone last year i think posted that they were growing Mara des Bois in 2.5 gallon buckets and said that the plants really liked it (the pics looked good). So i think im going to make me a little pot garden(growing pots)… along with my raised beds and see which ones seem to be the happiest. It would be so much easier and convenient to grow them that way.

Charlotte is very obscure… there is one video on youtube that is kind of weird and almost no talk of it on social media. I think that is what makes me want it.

3 Likes

Anyone have any connections to obtain Gaviota? The few nurseries I contacted that had any mentioning of the variety never responded.

A nursery will never talk down their plant cultivars. Every cultivar is talked about like it is the best and unbeatable. I would argue strawberries are candy like in general. When I was in the hospital for stage 4 cancer I had such an insane surgery that I was likely pumped with a bunch of medical stuff and could not go to the bathroom. During that time I had my first fruit in years. Before that point I had fruit as a kid but stopped. The first fruit I ate as an adult was strawberries and after that my mother had to tell me to stop eating so much fruit or we are going to go broke. Like I said strawberries have that candy like taste that is almost addicting like chocolate.

3 Likes

On my terrace in a rather large strawberry pot, I am growing garriguette and mariguette. I will buy some charlotte and more Mara des Bois tomorrow. I too like ‘day neutrals’. Charlotte is truly an excellent berry. Since I am not growing my strawberries commercially, only grow them for myself, they are much later. By May 1 - 14th I should have my first strawberries. They are quite the spring fruit here in France and the people take them so seriously. You cannot walk into a bakery and not find strawberry everything! I just love to eat them while watching a movie. My form of popcorn!

2 Likes

My plants arrived today and look as good as any other bare root that i have ordered from elsewhere.

I did my homework before ordering them and like i said earlier nobody is growing them… i think there is a post or so on here of a guy asking about them but nobody spoke up i dont think.

At $1 each i think they will be very worth growing at least.

Some of my local big box stores have their plants out and the label just says ‘Strawberry’ no variety listed…nothing.

I forgot that i had another variety called Berri Basket that i got from that nursery that was going to throw them away. It is a compact everbearing and i split mine a few times and gave them to some elderly neighbors. They really enjoy the small life of living in a pot and give tasty little berries.

I bought a bag of ‘Sequoia’ 10 for $3 at walmart and i have them going in an old pedestal bathtub… i couldnt pass up that deal.

1 Like

I likely bought over 100 strawberry and over 200 asparagus last year. The strawberry seem to be coming up. Still no sign of asparagus.

1 Like

Im in Zone 6B/7A and my asparagus just started popping up like crazy.

2 Likes

Drew you should try the Mariguette, the best of both berries!

1 Like

A taste test of some french varieties: Comparatif 2018 - Les fraises - Jardin d'Essai

1 Like

Voila!