Best Strawberry Varieties?

Wow this a long thread ! I grow old North Sea. Never planned on growing strawberries but the reviews on baker creek tempted me to get some. The kids clear them out everyday when they’re fruiting. I doubled the size of the bed. I want to add some more. Don’t often see old North Sea mentioned in groups or forums so it may be a hidden gem. They have one called pantagruella coming in March I may get. I am debating an everbearing to extend my harvest but I read that the early season crop is small and the late season is even smaller in my area tend to be small (zone 7a Philadelphia). May add some alpines

3 Likes

I just a few of these Puget Crimson bare roots, how are they doing for you since 2018, are the yields still pretty good and original plants still survive?

2 Likes

@Oregon_Fruit_Grow that the best strawberry I like. Unfortunately I removed all mine because I need room for all my vegetable garden. Too many plants I love to plant.

3 Likes

I saw Old North Sea on Rare Seeds too, and others. What does it taste like compared to more commonly sold varieties?

1 Like

I have old north sea as well as Scarlett and pantagruella from rareseeds.

I have not tried pantagruella yet, but will this year. Old north sea taste great to me, a slight Kool aid like accent. Scarlett are small musk strawberries but have the most intense strawberry flavor. I don’t know how it compares to other musks. Both old north sea and Scarlett spread like weeds, while pantagruella barely has runners after a year.

Any tips to make strawberries taste sweeter? A lot of my strawberries are somewhat tasteless no matter what variety except the Scarlett. I always get a good strawberry in the bunch, one that’s fully ripened and didn’t get too much rain I guess, but wondering if I am unique… super market strawberries are even more bland though.

1 Like

All I know is full sun, full day of sun, avoiding diseases, picking at the point of total ripeness not a bit earlier, varieties that are known for being sweet in your area, and perhaps not having watered much the last week of ripening, but rain isn’t something we can really control.

1 Like

Have you bought Frutilla Blanca from Rareseed this year?

Make sure they are fully ripe. Full sun as mentioned. Second year crop will be better. Fertilize after harvest for June bearing.

2 Likes

I did get it this year. One of the three already died due to the heatwave. Been watering them everyday even though they are in ground

Good, we can compare notes next year:-) Luckily, all my 3 are still alive. I let one of them produces runners.