Best tasting apples

I’m planning to sprout some myself this year. Really think the parent has some promise in backyard apple breeding. Curious what one would expect to be used a commercial orchard for pollinating these days though, any ideas?

Hope you report back on your results!

SkillCult of Northern California desert grafts 50 to 200 unique heirloom varietals per tree & plants seeds.
He prefers many of the red fleshed apples & sub acidic aromatic heirlooms.
He claims to be able to tell from bark color & texture what traits a seedling inherited.
He has YouTube videos.
I’m a good mentor for apple nutrient balancing.
But he is far more knowledgeable about breeding & environment compatibility.
And he sells seeds & scions.

3 Likes

SkillCult apple breeder extraordinaire

2 Likes

New apple varietals
All SkillCult videos are awesome.
Good place to learn about Apples.
Etter Blood Apples

4 Likes

You must be sort of new…most of us have a pretty good understanding about the breeding and other useful activities of SkillCult.

3 Likes

Also, Skilcult is a member here. When he is not too busy, he stops by and posts. He has hung out in the red fleshed apple thread quite a bit.

Experience with Red Fleshed Apples - #1117 by mrsg47.

You can use our search function to see what topics have been discussed. We have covered a wide range so far.

3 Likes

ROTFLMAO!!!
I’m checking out the red fleshed apple :apple: page.

2 Likes

Ok count me outmoded. I had to look it up.

1 Like

Thanks!

ROTFLMAO is 25+ years old. It was popular in webchat forums in 1997 and 1998. This actually dates ZinHead. Unfortunately, most of the webchat businesses folded in the early 2000’s as people shifted to other sources of online interaction.

do you mean apple tree fertility or the nutrient in an apple for you? I have a few of Skillcults apple breeding seedlings in the backyard. He sells them for a reasonable price right around scion season.

1 Like

I’m an agronomy researcher, who does some plant breeding.
SkillCult is an apple tree breeder.
If someone has a tree with nutrient deficiencies, then I’m the correct expert to consult.
If it is a breeding question or what traits do I look for in a seedling to know if it inherited a certain gene, then SkillCult is the expert!
I have a good enough understanding of plant nutrition to notice nutrient deficiencies in many species even when no traditional leaf discoloration.
Often by leaf size, shape, texture, vein size, stem length, internode (elongation & width), node size, bark color & texture, fruit shape, blossom characteristics, etc.

5 Likes

My goal is to achieve my own crossed of best tasting apple. I just crossed Rubinette with my Red Fuji and my Envy Seedling. I will grow out 10 seedlings for one year and take scions from them then bark graft to my older apple trees to speed up the fruiting process.

4 Likes

Given your choices in flavor profile I recommend:
(Airlie Red Flesh x Ananas Reinette)
Much simpler breeding & far more intense with similar flavor profiles.

2 Likes

Wow. Amazing coulour!

“Howell TC3” is now marketed as “Lucy Glo”
It is a (Airlie Red Flesh x Honey Crisp) hybrid.
It is spectacular if fully mature tree ripened.

7 Likes

@ZinHead
GrowingFruit is not a Reddit site. Please put your unsolicited advice in a new thread and promotions for your future products in the “For Sale” category. Also: please immediately create an introduction thread and post photos of all your current plants and projects that you’ve mentioned in the past 10 days lest we think you are a fraud.

3 Likes

Pretty apple. Nice photo of the inside.

1 Like

Michelangelo Alexander Sir-Rhine (Mikey ZinHead Plant-Detective)

A self educated Forrest Gump asperger with neurological histamine receptor #3 anaphylaxis allergies, who can play a dozen simultaneous games of chess yet nearly pisses is sweat pants trying to untie slip knots.
I’m real.
Michelangelo aka Mikey ZinHead
Michelangelo Alexander Sir-Rhine

Zin…there’s a lot of crazy people in the world, and some of 'em post here.
But you don’t strike me as a nut.
Enjoy your comments.

1 Like