Best tasting apples

I make my apple pies from Cortland, but I enjoy them out of hand as well. As a McIntosh offspring they’re quite popular here in the northeast. They’re also known as a cider apple.

2 Likes

Yellow delicious is one of my favorite apple. I love its textures, the balanced flavor. But a really good tasty yellow delicious is hard to come by. Once in awhile, I might be lucky enough to find good flavored yellow delicious from smaller grocery store. Most yellow delicious sold in large grocery store doesn’t have much flavor. I probably should start to grow my own yellow delicious if I can find space for another tree. However, I recently found that the grocery store bough Washington state Envy has just about the right sweetness with right amount acidity. It is crispy juicy without too thick skin.

5 Likes

I think of Cortland as a salad/table apple since it is slow to turn brown–although many recent apples also are taking over that duty.

4 Likes

I suspect all the Mac based do best in the Northeast. Just got the first real crop of Empire, Cortland and Macoun this year, all superb. Jonagold comes up next year maybe.

3 Likes

This week, my husband and I had the pleasure to consume 15 pounds of farm picked apples, 6-7 varieties, they were all delicious. Not sure when I will get back here again. The last time I was here for fall foliage was 35 years ago.

2 Likes

I would love to try ashmeads, I’ve never seen them for sale or scions though

My favorite apple so far. A yellow delicious picked at just the right time is a thing of beauty and a treat for the taste buds! I almost yanked out my tree but gave it one more year. So glad I did :grinning:

6 Likes

You can buy a tree from Trees of Antiquity, and inexpensive scions are available from @derekamills. Message him for a list of available varieties.

3 Likes

I agree. Yellow (Golden) Delicious is still one of the best IMO. A true hard to beat classic.

2 Likes

Years ago, before I ever planted any apple trees, I had opportunity to pick apples at a grandparents place, then later pick a couple seasons for a small commercial orchard…(standard trees and tall ladders) more than a 1,000 bushels, probably 3,000. A ripe red delicious on a cool day or in the cool of the shade before the sun hits the apples…yum. Both red and golden delicious are still tops until I find one superior. But, the old Hawkeye delicious I recall as even better than Starkrimsons.

Fuji is perhaps my fav if I had to pick store bought apples…but from the tree they aren’t equal to delicious.

2 Likes

I have a tiny graft of Hawkeye just hanging in there. I would love to compare them one day!

1 Like

@resonanteye - 'come scion trading time . . . remind me and I’ll send you some scions. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Pacific rose
Mutsu

I transplanted 3 Hawkeye on G.210 from the nursery bed to the orchard just yesterday. 2018 grafts that were WAY overdue to be moved. I expect 2023 will be a recovery year for them, but hope they are blooming by 2024.

2 Likes

Awesome. I want to see pics of those tasty apples when they arrive!!:+1:

1 Like

I’d expect a scatttered fruit here and there…unless you remove them so the energy goes into the tree?

They haven’t bloomed yet so I’m not sure what to expect, but they should respond well after being in an overcrowded nursery bed. I’ll have to take a look and see what the fruit buds look like. Some of the trees from the nursery bed lost a significant portion of their root system when they were moved.

1 Like

I see. You probably shouldn’t let them fruit in that case, even if they do bloom.

I got to eat a “williams” apple this year…maybe a “williams pride” next season.
A large selection of apples is going to offer something for everyone.

“williams” isn’t ‘best tasting’ but it is pretty good considering an August 1 ripening date here.

1 Like

Today was my lucky day! I found a local orchard open for picking Red Delicious, which is typically picked 3-4 weeks earlier at orchards. The apples were fantastic! I have said it before, that a tree ripened RD is my favorite apple and I still feel the same today…

5 Likes

Hi! You if red delicious is much diferent from red chief apple?