Best way to save persimmon rootstock

Cleaning my pepper bed in the old house I found a nice 2.5’ root shoot coming from my persimmon tree. I got an idea to dig it out and cut some scion wood from my persimmon, so I can build my own persimmon tree next year at the new house. Unfortunately, despite the shoot was branched and looked strong it almost had no own roots . I cut a piece of mother root about 1.5’ long with the shoot in the middle of it. There are couple hair roots on the mother root, that’s it. I removed all the leaves but few top ones on each branch and placed it in the fabric pot(only pot it feets to.) The leaves look drooped , but still alive a week from the time I cut it. What is the best way to encourage new roots before the winter and save it through the winter? I can probably plant it in it’s permanent spot, but not sure if I should disturb it now again. If planting in the ground is the best bet, do I need to fill the hole with specific planting media, native soil, or amended native soil?

1 Like

I would just protect from critter disturbance, with a wire cage and just use clean garden soil to backfill hole. Wait until spring to sprinkle 10/10/10 around the hole periphery away from the trunk. Water it in really well and it should do ok in spring, good luck

Dennis

1 Like