Better rule of thumb for succession planting corn?

Got this tidbit from one of my seed sources:
…“and when your sweet corn gets about 3-4 ft tall, go ahead and plant more so you’ll have it all summer long.”
I had always tried succession planting using different days to maturity - but there still was too much overlap …and I couldn’t eat fast enough. Maybe I’ll wait till 2ft tall (afraid 3 ft at July 4th might be too late here in cool maritime) and give this a try. Anyone else do it this way?

No problem with to much corn at Poncirusguy’s place

2 Likes

I’ve done it using plant size. We have a long season so I think I’ve had as many as 7 plantings. I planted another planting when the prior was about 6 inches tall. That gives about two weeks difference in harvest date between plantings. Obviously, that’s pretty close but I only planted three rows about 10ft long of each planting. Late plantings had more corn ear worm and rust.

1 Like

Thanks for corroboration. 7 successive plantings in Texas - sounds great!

1 Like

By mid season you are planting every two weeks because temperature becomes pretty constant. Between the first and second is more like 4-6 weeks depending on temperatures. My first planting was usually late Febr to mid March. It’s almost constant corn for 14 weeks.

1 Like

In my Garden ripe corn… if you leave it on the stalk too long… you are going to have coon and squirrel problems. When mine gets ripe I harvest it all. Process it and pull and compost the stalks… plant back okra or green beans.

I eat very little corn now days and do not succession plant it… but I am thinking if I had corn getting ripe every 2 or 3 weeks in my garden… those pesky coons and squirrels would quickly get wise to that and get their share.

My little patch of ambrosia last year.

2 Likes

I believe it’s better to have early
midseason and late varieties
and plant all of them when the soil is ready (about 60 degrees plus).
The early corn is less productive but it will be early.

1 Like