Beyond guacamole - foods that feature avocado

For example: turkey avocado breakfast sandwich

2 Likes

One of the local Mexican restaurants makes a delicious chicken soup with fresh cilantro, lime, onion, tomato, and avocado added just before eating. Many recipes are available online. Hot avocado sounded odd to me, but I’ll try virtually anything, and was very glad I did.

1 Like

We’ve been doing a poached egg or 2 and avocado over steamed rice for lunch or dinner recently. I add some spice mix to the poaching water and a drizzle of “Memmi” concentrate over it all. ( basic soy sauce or Worcestershire also work)
We tried it because we needed soft foods due to some dental issues but it was so tasty it’s stayed in rotation. ( when we can get decent avocados that don’t cost :moneybag:)

2 Likes

Diceing an avocado together with a ripe mango makes a very nice salad. One of my favorites

4 Likes

My favorite sandwich featuring avocado is the “BALTO” (bacon avocado lettuce tomato & onion), and it’s even better if you substitute arugula for lettuce.

Another thing worth trying is a Brazilian style avocado shake or smoothie, which is made with avocado, milk (about 1 cup per moderate sized avocado), a bit of sugar or syrup, and some lime juice. It’s unexpectedly delicious!

2 Likes

This thread is making me hungry! I’ve used blended avocado in place of mayonnaise in egg or tuna salad, they make a very silky base.

2 Likes

Our Reed avocado still has a few fruits left! Here’s half of one with eggs, swiss, and turkey.

4 Likes

:yum: :yum: :yum:

I miss the summer coddos I enjoyed when I lived in S. CA. The industry has gone all-Hass. Let’s see, Bacon avocado, Fuerte avocado… what else?

Avocado smashed with potatoes always works. I eat that with diced raw Jalapenos from my garden. Of course, avocado matches very well with smoked salmon and probably a lot better for you than cream cheese. Actually it matches well with any smoked fish including whitefish. Sushi rolls with avocado also works- California roll.

Around here “avocodo toast” is a thing and it makes me laugh because mashing avocado on toasted bread was something we’ve done for close to half a century but never gave it a name.

2 Likes

I’ve made this salad with crab, avacado, and a lime dressing that was soooo good. We don’t live on the Bay anymore, so I don’t have the endless supply of basically free crab meat. I hate picking the crabs, but I love the proceeds.

I’ve lived in the midwest all my life and we didn’t grow up with avocados. Eating my first one as an adult was a revelation! When DH & I went to Death Valley and stopped over in Las Vegas, I saw avocado toast on a menu and ordered it. It also had thinly sliced radishes over the top and was so delicious… about the only part of LV that I enjoyed :rofl:

1 Like

I’m proud to say I’ve avoided it my whole life, and won’t even go there for the cado toast. Sliced radishes sounds like a nice idea- I never use them in the kitchen for no reason except maybe that they are so easy to grow.

1 Like

Avacado is great keto food… high fat high fiber… very low net carbs.

Check the YT vid above for some delicious and healthy keto things to do with avacado… keto chocolate pudding, keto smoothies, and much more.

1 Like

Definitely not my scene, but it was the easiest/closest airport for us to get to Death Valley. The drinks were good at least, I had my first Aviation which knocked my socks off.

1 Like