Big box store fails

I went to tractor supply for the first time and saw the worse collection of trees ever. 1 year whips kept inside in bags. Overall all of the Big box stores are selling the most boring cultivars possible, Red and Golden delicious, Cortland. Contender peaches and Bartlett pears. I do kind of think its strategic this year. If they are going to offer 1 year replacement guarantees in a year that might see a lot of trees damaged by Cicadas why sell anything that might be costly to replace.

This is a misunderstanding. The post in question received two flags from members. As an admin, I was under the impression that it was hidden completely from members. The other admins were also under that impression.

We did not know the membership had an option of viewing the post. This is because admins can see any hidden post, or deleted post. So from an admin perspective, it looked the same as any other deleted post.

It was only until your post, which you showed it could still be viewed, that indicated the post could still be viewed by anybody. I logged in as in a non-admin account to see if I could see the post. Indeed I was able to see it and therefore deleted the post.

It wasn’t anything “telling” that admins left the post. There is a person of Asian decent on the admin team. Scott Smith’s wife (the owner of the forum) is of Asian decent. It was simply a matter that we thought the post had been completely hidden.

I have deleted your post as well. Along with a reply to your post, since that reply would no longer have reference to your post.

5 Likes

The small one on the lower right is no better than used strawberry boxes which I employ to start seeds. If you use the cover and a heat pad below it assures warm enough medium to germinate heat loving seeds like peppers.

Yeah, visited 2 ‘tractor supply’ stores briefly last week. Left both without making a purchase.
their fruit offerings were the worst ever spotted at that chain before.

1 Like

Walked by the Walmart trees today on my way to the wheelbarrows. Just had a look at the nectarines… most were quite dead. A couple of peaches were trimmed to a 6 foot whip :flushed: and also one tree that just said “Pear”. Didn’t even look like there were any viable nodes…

That’s what they had here, about what varieties they always have. Not terrible in a way- my mom wanted Prairiefire Crabapple for something over by the neighbor’s kids. I got a Cortland to use as a multigraft tree. Both were way too branched, way too low- but fine for my use this year. Next year those scion get cut off and used. I have to do something with the roots though- who knows what it is, circled and rootbound.

1 Like

Lowes, I’m so sorry for the plants.

3 Likes

Local Kroger here in Mi has a bunch of fruit trees out this week. Gala apples, Honeycrisp apples, Anjou Pears… and Persimmon.

Just persimmon, no name, no clarifying description.

The tag gave a nursery, so I went to the website. The site has wonderful descriptions of their varieties… all except, you guessed it, the persimmon.

I looked and since I didn’t notice a graft mark that it is just a seed grown random American persimmon…

Cheap, but goodness only knows what it may one day produce. (they had half a dozen of these and they will likely end up marked down in time because I can’t imagine they will sell… 2 days later all that remained (besides the persimmons) was a Moorpark and a sickly looking Gala apple.

Scott

1 Like

and they have the + 30f hardy stuff up here in z 3b! idiots!

2 Likes

There are multiple people at fault here. First off, the store employees generally know nothing about plants, but that’s the fault of the stores who hired them.

Secondly, the issue mentioned above which is that often times these decisions are made at a corporate level, instead of at a level suitable to the climate of the area.

1 Like

Some of the local big box stores here failed to protect tomatoes and peppers from the freeze, so now they have hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of dead plants.

1 Like

The reason? The vendors get paid only for plants that are sold…not the ones going to the trash dump!

2 Likes

Same here, you can’t even find anything below Z5.

1 Like

its crazy!

Be nice to know what the 4 varieties are Lowes…

6 Likes

Green Id recon

4 Likes

Red Delicious, Yellow delicious, Granny smith…and then pick one. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes- 4 mystery apples on a mystery rootstock what’s not to love :heart_eyes: .

Of course it’s probably mislabeled and what you actually get is an ornamental crab apple.

I bet the “recommended spacing” is something like 3 to 25 feet too.

7 Likes

Ok, so this one’s on me. I went to Tractor Supply yesterday and saw they had some fruit trees out for $15. I was in need of a pear rootstock, but I didn’t want to fork over for shipping, so this seemed like it could be a good solution. I picked out the nicest looking one and put it in the cart. I was looking at it again today, and it looked much wrinklier than I remembered. Scratch test in several locations was green but dry, so definitely dead. Ok, no problem, so long as the rootstock is still alive I have what I need. Nope. The rootstock was clearly dead for much longer! Brown, brown brown. I should have been a little more careful in my assessment, it seems.

I did get some useful info out of this, though. I called the supplier (DeGroot) earlier to see if I could find out what rootstock they were using, which is calleryana seedlings. Not my first choice, but it would have been good for my purpose.

3 Likes

You ought to take it back and get a refund, or a replacement at least. Was this a potted tree or a bare root in a bag?

2 Likes