Big Freeze Coming

My two merc thermometers… showed a low of 28-29 at 7 am… the Sun is shining… and it is warming up some already.

4 Likes

Nice snow pic. We got a lot in Central middle TN.
Will inspect the pawpaws Sunday afternoon.

2 Likes

Good to hear, I hope the forecast is off that much by the time it gets to us. It is snowing here now but it was warm enough before snow that the roads might not get any accumulation at all.

2 Likes

Heavy snow here in Howard County MD.

Really concerned about the 15° low forecast for tonight.

2 Likes

Yep our roads thankfully did not see accumulation.

2 Likes

We ended up with over 7” of snow here overnight. Thank goodness all the fruit trees are still asleep. Looks like it’ll get down to 13 degrees tonight The roads were warm enough to keep most of the snow melted. Next week stays in the high 50’s and 60’s.

2 Likes

GFS model is still showing some ridiculous lows for TN and KY tonight, hopefully that’s just plain wrong:

1 Like

My citrus trees are inside for the polar vortex and will go out tomorrow afternoon 3-13-2022

2 Likes

Been 20 to 25…no higher…since I got up this morning. And mostly clear/sunny.

So, 11 to 17 seems reasonable to expect for tonight. And those single digits probably do hit in some isolated locations. Soon as the breeze turns to a southerly direction…it’s going to turn to summer like conditions.

1 Like

Hopefully some will still make it, only a handful of blooms were this far along. 17F currently, on it’s way to single digits (or so they are predicting).

4 Likes

We didn’t quite hit single digits, low of 10… In the past few hours the temp has doubled to 20 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Not sure about minimum temp. here last night…as I slept in.

But, it’s 27 at the Central Kentucky Regional Airport and should increase to 47 or maybe 50 by 5 or 6 p.m.

Nice days ahead…lots of things blooming before end of month here I expect…possibly as much as 10 or more days earlier than normal. (Hopefully no big late freezes like past couple years.)

(Things 15 days early ended in disaster year before last. About 7 days early last year proved to be ok for things like apples and blueberries).

1 Like

Thankfully was pretty wrong for central TN.
Maybe 20 degrees was the worst it got here. Still plenty low to do damage to tender tissues.

My freeze is over with a 15 day frost free forecast.

Finally checked the pawpaws.
Damage is extreme - only a few green-hued flower buds left.
The ones that were previously greening are now brown and drooping.
Even very small buds appear to be drooping. They weren’t green before so it’s hard to tell.
They are my only chance to get more than just a couple clusters of fruit.
Ouch.

@olpea

Mark,

Yes it’s not good weather for fruit growing so far in Kansas!

Condolences to everyone that got pounded by the freeze.

It was colder here than expected. Hit 20 with high winds for 6 or 8 hours

SHB and early peaches are gone. We have some hope for late bloomers.

Apples and Blackberries and Muscadines were mostly dormant so we hope they will be OK.

We plan to take a closer look in 2 weeks when it’s easy to determine the exact damage.

5 Likes

I have some black apple and pear leaves half inch long…cornelian cherry in full bloom…probably got those…asimina triloba may be ok here…
blueberries…most are ok…but the ones that tried to bloom in December are not likely to have any crop as the rest of the buds have been enlarged all through Jan-March.

Other than one
Asian pear, some rabbiteye blueberries, and cornelian cherries…other things might be ok here. Need 3 or 4 days to be sure.

1 Like

Pretty sure everything not under tarps that were even minimally developed got zapped. We’ll see about the tight buds and how well the tarps worked over the next week.

2 Likes

Rick, if you don’t mind, can you tell me what SHB stands for?

We still don’t know how the freeze worked it’s repugnancy here?

It was too cold here. About 5F during that cold miser event. Still waiting to sort things out.

From my childhood, I still hate this guy.

2 Likes