Big Freeze Coming

Zero predicted for my orchard tonight, minus six F on Saturday. Still solidly in winter here yet. Good weather to eat freshly-baked apple crisp while doing taxes!

2 Likes

You are toast.

Interestingly, the coldest temperature in the US yesterday was -48 F in the mountains of northern Utah. Iā€™m about 25 miles as the crow flies (and -4000 ft as the rock falls) and it was 10F here. I find that crazy - 58 degree difference!

1 Like

The forecast low for Saturday night/Sunday morning keeps dropping. Now showing around 16Ā°. My peaches and Tomcot apricot are around the calyx green/tips separate stage, (2nd stage in the chart) but cots are closer to calyx red.

I am somewhat concerned now, although I doubt Iā€™ll have a total loss, and hopefully will come through OK as long as this is the last really deep cold blast.

Iā€™ll definitely have more freezes, but hopefully they will be of the 27 to 30Ā° variety.

Thatā€™s where our lows is predicted for Sunday morning. My problem is all my nectarines are @ full bloom to petal fall. Would have tried some savings measures but forecast says windy and blustery.

Windy freezes are the worst.

Supposed to be some precipitation with this front. Maybe that will help insulate the vegetation.

Iā€™m now at 19 or 20 depending on which app I look at. Around now I start looking at a whole bunch of different weather model predictions to see how wide the range isā€¦ it is pretty tight now.

I still think I will be OK but I may lose a few bloomsā€¦ I am in the 10% kill range on the above chart.

The long-range forecast for the rest of March is lows well above freezing ā€¦ I am hoping this is the last scare for me. I am going to plant my kale and the like after this cold snap is through.

1 Like

@fruitnut ā€¦ agreeā€¦ and that pic was from my rising star peach which is on a south east slope and gets more sun than my other two peach treesā€¦ blooms earlier. And it only has a few buds that advancedā€¦ most others are still small and tight.

Not expecting a lot of damage from this oneā€¦ still calling for 20-22 tonight and tomorrow nightā€¦ but I expect we will get more like 25 26 here.

They are predicting another nice warm up after this weekendā€¦ and that next cold spell out thereā€¦ will be the one that will likely come when everything is blooming here.

Hope it is a mild one.

1 Like

Hopefully everyone comes through this event unscathed or with minimal damage. The GFS model is predicting 8F for my area at 3AM Sunday. Luckily I have only a few peaches at first pink. Some movement in other fruits but hopefully not enough for them to be damaged. Fingers crossed!

. @scottfsmith

My backyard tends to run a tad colder than forecast though. :grimacing:

I did sow some peas in the ground last week, but they have not emerged yet so I think theyā€™ll be OK. Iā€™ll probably plant some of my cool season veggies next week.

8 degrees at first pink? Thatā€™s rough.

1 Like

Save me a piece Iā€™ll be right there

You want to help with the taxes, too?

Yours are a bit more advanced than mine, but looks like most still closed tight. Honestly itā€™s the April freezes that I worry the most about.

Just turned to mix hereā€¦partly sleet, rain, snow ā€¦at about 34 degrees.

1 Like

My apricot was in full bloom, and the plum in first color, so I had to cover both. Iā€™ve got incandesent work lights under both tarps and Iā€™m hoping the heat production will get trapped under the tarps.

Luckly the cherry trees are trailing far behind and still in buds, as is most of the pluot so theyā€™re probably ok.

Ugh, a low of 17 here. Bleh.

1 Like

Come and gone!! Will check out damage tomorrow, might get lucky, I doubt. Back in the sixties and seventies. Moving forward with whatever is left.
Itā€™s fishing time, my fish habitat is calling me.ITS just like a housing project in a city, fills out fast.

2 Likes

Woke to a little over an inch of snow. 24F currently, supposed to drop throughout the day. Predictions vary a little but all are indicating single digits tonight. Then 60ā€™s by Monday and 70ā€™s by Friday. Gotta love spring in the southā€¦

1 Like

We got 3-4 inches of snowā€¦ they predicted 20 by 7 amā€¦ but my low was 28.

They are calling for 18 tonightā€¦ hope they miss that one in my favor too.

I have no blooms open yetā€¦ a few swolen and pinkā€¦ do have a HB bush with leaves an inch longā€¦ but have it covered. Hope to keep those new leaves.