Bird Net for Squirrels?

Anybody use bird net to keep squirrels out of fruit trees? How did it work?

I did. I made a tent over my blueberries and secured the bottom of net on the ground…A few birds got trapped on it. Some animals (squirrels, groundhog or opossum) bit a chunk of the net and made quite a large hole.

This is good quality American netting so I could get those birds out without much damage (to the birds and the net). Still miffed with the hole in the net by an unidentified rodent.

1 Like

I also tent my blueberries, its the only way I get any. But I never tried it on a fruit tree since I have too many. Katia traps have been my squirrel control method.

I have a pic that I netted cherry trees. My trees are about 8 ft tall. I just threw a net over it and secured the bottom as needed.

1 Like

I net most of the 35 trees in my orchard. The squirrels do not seem to like the netting when the wind blows it. Any moving thing seems to give them a scare. I have had huge success with the American Netting Co. also.

1 Like

I have had netting succeed and I’ve had it fail where squirrels would have taken the fruit without it. I get more reliable protection with long straight trunks stapled with cylinders of roofing coil.

I use that netting pictured only for birds. They usually don’t get tangled in the green woven type.

1 Like