Black Limbertwig in Vista CA

Here’s our Black Limbertwig that arrived bareroot 5 days ago from Trees of Antiquity. I’ve potted it in this #15 tub, using 1 part all-purpose sand and 2 parts Kelloggs Patio Mix by volume plus about a half inch of 1/4" Sequoia Orchid Bark on top to slow down moisture evaporation from the soil. Later this Spring I plan to use some of the branches as scions to top-work our White Winter Pearmain.

7 Likes

Grabbed one of those from @39thparallel back in 2021. Placed it in the ground last March. Seemed pretty vigorous if I recall. Mine started a bit smaller than yours :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Nice! I did not realize it was a warm climate variety.

@39thparallel
Apples (M. domestica) were once thought to be dependent on chill hours. This was disproved 2 decades ago. Propagation nurseries have since changed their labels.

2 Likes

According to Ron Joyner at Big Horse Creek Farm, his customers have grown BLT from mountain to swamp, from frigid to hot.

1 Like

Steve, based on taste reports I have considered growing this apple off-and on over the decades. I got the itch again last summer when @Luisport was sharing his new apples and ordered it.

1 Like

4/20. Today I grafted central leader scions from the potted Black Limbertwig to what is now White Winter Pearmain interstem on M-111. I had some trouble with the WWP bark being thin and tight so we’ll see how this attempt goes.

I used a Due Buoi left-handed grafting knife to trim the cuttings and then wrapped them with perforated buddy tape from One Green World. While I was at it I cut tiny slices in the tape over nodes when needed.

The tree I cut initially with a #18 saws-all blade and then used a Felco Victorinix grafting knife to work the bark. It was tough going. More often than not I was peeling wood instead of cambium.

Next I compared my scions to the prepared stump and found they were too thick and ended up trimming them more. Finally I got the scions in place and used two laps of Parafilm #12 to hold them in place. This was followed by many criss-cross sections of buddy tape across the top to protect the fresh cut wood. Afterwards I again wrapped the trunk with parafilm and then tightly with 3M Linerless Electrical Rubber Tape. I also put pieces of it across the top to block sunlight.

4 Likes

One of the grafts is showing promise with 2 sprouts.

1 Like

BLT was one of the varieties I wanted to try here (Southern Middle TN) Zone 7a.

I got some scion wood thru trade… it was a bit on the small side but I grafted 3 and all of them are looking great. Hope I get to try one in a few years.

Does anyone know if this variety is triploid? I tried popping the anthers off of some flowers from this variety, but when I dried them out… no pollen.

BLT is diploid to best of my knowledge.