Black Limbertwig

Great info thank you so much for the response. This website has been an amazing tool. Theres so many helpful people like yourself. So how does a brushy mountain compare to those 3?

My Brushy Mountain LT has been a smaller, hard fleshed apple. Itā€™s a 6 yr old tree (planted the same year as my Kentucky, Myers Royal,Victoria, Swiss and Red Royal LTā€™s} Amazing they are still hanging on the tree here in 6A . A bland apple in Sept-Oct they have become sweeter while hanging on the tree so I believe they need to be stored to develop their best flavor. Hereā€™s a picture of the tree a week or so ago just before we got our first snowfall.

3 Likes

Love reading about LT apples! I have several grafts to existing trees and several grafted trees thanks to @greyphase for scions and I hope to get the trees in the ground in the coming weeks. So excited to be able to try and grow these here in Tennessee. I have read that they are rather disease resistant and adapt well to a range of locations. I know that many varieties have originated in Tennessee and the surrounding states so I am rather optimistic that they will grow well here. Hoping that the grafts on to some of my existing trees speed the process up for me and I will be able to try out some of these in at least the next couple years.

2 Likes

I think I lost my Black Limbertwig. Grafted 2018, and hadnā€™t grown a lot in a black nursery pot.
Forgot to water it maybe.

But, I agree that Iā€™m looking forward to maybe a dozen or more new apples Iā€™ve not tasted before come next year. Weā€™ll have to get past spring freezes, then fight the varmints for them though.

Cold rainy days are good times to daydream.

1 Like

I am going to put a small cage around all my grafts and hope that it will keep them from getting completely killing if the deer decide to eat on themā€¦ It has been cold today but the rain didnā€™t start until late this evening thankfully :grinning:

Update 12/20 tasting of Black Limbertwigs picked Nov. 10: decent texture, firmness but tasteless. Zero taste, nada, zip. Iā€™ll store another month or two but do not have high hopes.

We had lots of rain this year- may have ruined their taste.

Please keep us updated after you store them for a while. I think there are a lot of us here interested in growing different LT varieties. Just finding the right one for each area of the country is the hard part.

1 Like

In years past I remember a pretty good sweet/tart taste for BLT. But if itā€™s once every five years, then Iā€™ll graft over to Keepsake, my newest love.

Good information. I would probably do the same thing with any tree that only gives me apples every 5 years. I am about ready to do that to a couple of my apple trees. They always promise me apples with all the blooms they produce in the spring but disappoint me with either zero apples or only a couple. Not worth having such fruit trees if they are not going to do their job, producing fruit. I might as well have a sugar maple tree there and get something from it.

Ouch! I had some tasteless ones in the past but they were all picked early. Nov 10th should not be early, I didnā€™t get any this year myself thanks to my pile-o-critters.

I did get a fair number of KY LT and it is growing on me, not a strong taste but a nice well-balanced honey-ish flavor. Super bulletproof and super productive.

Animals also got all my Brushies this year. As I always say, next yearā€¦ I never had a good BMLT so far, but I never managed to get them to hang long enough. The graft is small and the few late-hanging apples become a real squirrel target.

Have you tasted anything else lately that doesnā€™t taste right?
That is one of the symptoms of this thing
going aroundā€¦

My taster has dimmed with age but still perks up to a Goldrush or Keepsake so all is well.

BTW my BLT fruits every year, but years with good taste are the exception, not the rule.

Glad you still have the taster! My BLT died. (But I have 93 other applesā€¦so I wonā€™t cry.)