Black Mission fig receptive to Backyard Orchard Culture?

I planted a Black Jack Fig and Tiger Panache Fig 24 inches apart in late winter. I’m now wishing I had also included a Black Mission in the group. I’m considering adding one to that group now, but I’m a bit concerned by what I’m reading regarding how big BMF wants to get, and the advice saying not to prune BMF in the fall or risk loosing the breba crop. I think I’d be ok losing the breba crop, but I also don’t want to be battling with it to keep it from overtaking the other two, especially the Black Jack, which is a semi-dwarf, according to DaveWilson.com.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone that has experience with keeping a Black Mission fig small (under 8 feet), as per Backyard Orchard Culture. Is it working for you? Any advice?

1 Like

Black Jack does not grow high, but it grows wide. You will realize in a few years that planting fig trees two feet from each other was not a wise decision.

2 Likes

Are you referring to close planting of fig trees in particular, or fruit trees in general?

1 Like

Don’t want to be too general because for some species you can achieve dwarfing by a suitable choice of rootstock and variety. For figs, the only way to keep them small is to hack them down to almost a stump each year.

2 Likes

According to Ed Laivo, the use of dwarf varieties and/or root stocks is not a very effective way to achieve truly small trees (under 8’). According to him, It’s done through pruning, and any fruit tree can be kept small through pruning.

1 Like