Blackberries, Raspberries and Hybrids (2026 discussion)

Since you say that your plants will make it anywhere.. Jim Walla in ND is the one who brought us Amethyst Purple back as well as Wyoming Purple rasp.. Trader Mulberry and Northrop as well.

If you want to bring these forward to growers that would be excited to grow things in those colder climates he would be a great resource.

Thanks to him we have Amethyst Purple.

3 Likes

i bet Hartmanns would be interested also. they like to carry very cold hardy fruit. i got my traders mulberry and amethyst rasp. from them.

just find the end of a root and cut a section off. they dont go very deep. most are in the top 1-3in. if you dont find the end and cut it in the middle. the end left will make another plant.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I have to test them to really know how hardy. I’m happy with my three primocane fruiting purples and don’t need more. One tastes like boysenberries. I have heard purples can be dull in flavor. I get that because the others are like that. Ok not great. But that first purple is in another league. It might be me. I think I can best that size too. The purples are from my blacks (Sterling black and Lynn’s black) Both have fairly large fruit. As I have shown. One of my problems is since I’m old I just don’t care if it dies with me or not.
Anybody can do what I did with some luck.

1 Like

yes they can but who really wants to improve on a berry unless theres money involved. i dont care about money, but ill happily spread this around to other like mined people that would appreciate it. my son has 9 acres of old fields id love to plant these on. his girlfriend loves fruit and baking with it. id name it Drew’s Delight Black Raspberry. this way, it would live on. :wink:

2 Likes

Does anyone know what newberry can hybridize with? Chromosome level wise. Cross back to a blackberry, raspberry, or something else?

Try Ohios Treasure and Black Delicious there. Both have very little fanfare as they arent mainstream. Would at least be nice to know if they are hardy there before they fade away from the nursery trade.

Both are very good here as well as Mac Black which not many folks discuss.

2 Likes

i have 1 ohio treasure i planted as a plug in a bad spot on the orchard up the hill. it barely grew in 2 years. i wanted to move it to better ground, but forgot about it.

As far as I know it’s never been published what ploidy it has. However, most good guesses and its parentage suggest it’s 6x.

The easiest crosses would be with Tayberry, Loganberry, Boysenberry, Wyeberry, other West Coast 6x hybrid “blackberries” like the Columbia series, and the 6x true blackberries derived from Pacific blackberry. You could also attempt crosses with 2x species which may or may not be successful (waiting on some myself to see if they’re sterile or not).

Crossing with East Coast 4x blackberries would be more or less impossible unfortunately.

2 Likes

Wow very cool. I appreciate the info. Where can I read more of your 2x x newberry potential hybrids?

I do have columbia star, tayberry, and Obsidian here, so I appreciate you putting me in the right direction.

Do you know what Galaxy has for ploidy by chance? Supposedly its eastern x western hybrid.

1 Like

Sorry, my post wasn’t clear, I have some 6x X 2x hybrid seedlings, but they’re Tayberry and Loganberry x raspberry. I now have Newberry but I haven’t used is in any crosses yet.

Galaxy I believe has Triple Crown and Navaho in its parentage despite being bred by the West Coast guys, so it’s probably tetraploid.

1 Like

Dang that is harsh news. Praýers up for you and your family. Strength and Success.

4 Likes

Thats why i got my own White D Pineberries and obtained Wyeberry and Newberry etc. After asking for 5 years i had to find them elsewhere. I do thank you for mentioning them and sharing your photos.. as it gave me the desire to have them for myself.

I still believe that some of these are worth spreading around as they are gone from anyone willing or able to share.

I am not the right person myself to bring them to the masses.. as i am just mostly a hobbyist and my time is sparse for the most part.

I can handle sharing what i have to this small group.. and if each person shares here and there eventually they wont become just words and pictures as they are mostly now on these forums and groups.

6 Likes

Black Satin blackberries are just beginning to ripen here in New Zealand. There are some incredibly productive laterals on the 2 plants I have



14 Likes

@Drew51 Those are some great looking plants!

Sorry to hear about your need for upcoming surgery. Best wishes for the speediest recovery possible.

I tried this for two years then gave up. I’ll try root cuttings next time!

2 Likes

How do you describe the taste at your location? Obviously they are very productive.

Full of flavor and delicious if you like a little acid, but still too sour for some. These are grown in partial shade which may have an impact. The Mapua boysenberries alongside these are definitely sweeter, the Marahau Hybridberry further along sweeter again, and the Starlight Hybridberry even sweeter than that.

4 Likes

Have you heard of Boysenberry #43 or Riwaka’s Choice Boysenberry where you are located?

I am growing some from cuttings as they seem to be one of the few brambles that do root more consistantly…

I enjoy the Black Satin and the acid.. but the trend here in the US is just ‘sweet’ like Ponca.

1 Like

Yes to Riwakas Choice, no to the other. Have you heard of Harvey Hall? He’s spent decades breeding berries including Karaka Black and Shekinah Tahi, as well as many others I can’t recall. I was lucky enough to have him show me around his trial site last month and what an experience that was! Tasted many berry varieties that are not on the market, or almost impossible to get here (including Riwakas Choice)






17 Likes

beautiful fruit! love the plate! visiting your country is on my bucket list before i die.

2 Likes