Blackberries, Raspberries and Hybrids

Cultivars come and go so quickly. One would need to look at old catalogs. All the cultivars today are fairly new. The oldest I know is Meeker which was developed in 1968.

1 Like

Latham was the most popular red rasp during that time i think. Still is very popular today 100 years later.

Could have been several others that are lost to history… Chief was another big name cultivar back then and was used in breeding alot of modern cultivars…

But only Latham has stood the test of time as far as i know.

4 Likes

okay, sorry for all the pics but I’m just super excited that I’m finally seeing flowerbuds, this is my first time with berries!

Oallieberry

Austin Dewberry

Boysenberry

PAF

Stark Black Gem

Prelude

Obsidian

2 Likes

Nice pics. Your climate is ahead of me by a month or more.

If those plants are young and/or in smaller pots dont stress out if the berries are pretty small… Mine dont size up until the canes get some size to them and the roots are established… YMMV.

Im 3 years into my Loganberries and hopefully this will be the first year of normal sized berries…at least im hoping.

1 Like

yeah they’re all less than one year old, and in containers - so thanks for the heads up. I really just want to taste a berry at this point though!

2 Likes

Whats your setup now? Whats your plan going forward? I know there are a couple on here that grow in containers and root pouches… I tried wicking tubs for two years but that ended up being a waste of time, money and space for me.

I really like these pots if i were to go the potted route on some cultivars again.

good luck Jerry. we have the wild Canadian/ smooth blackberry here that is z3 hardy. is that what you’re using to cross with Chester? im excited to see your results as i thought of crossing them with a cold hardy commercial cultivar as well. i have nelsons from fedco that survived 3 days of -40 3 years ago, but fruit size isn’t much bigger than the wild ones. just more productive. good luck and i will be following.

My setup now are these 5 gallon nursery pots - Nursery Pot - Calloway's Nursery
I use bags of Calloways Tree & Shrub mix for the growing media, and mix in some cow manure and whatever fertilizer I have on hand at the time, along with a sprinkling of bone meal over the bare roots as they get planted, then I cover with pine mulch… they all seem to really love it

As for what my plan is, I have no idea. I bought way too many berry plants and have no idea what I’m going to do with them - honestly I’m hoping half of them die over the summer during the 100-110 degree days :rofl:

when i first started collecting berry plants in June, I did plant a few along my fence, but that was before I learned that they spread like crazy and I didn’t want to ruin my yard (I have nice bermuda grass), so I starting buying containers and putting them in there. But now I’m at a point where half of my back yard is containers and I’m considering laying down landscape fabric over half of it and just giving up half the yard.

Maybe in a year or two I’ll settle down on the varieties I like, and buy large aluminum stock tanks and sink them halfway into the ground, and just grow in those… who knows

2 Likes

It is not the smooth Canandian type. I wish it were. Cass county MN is close enough to Canada that there could be some smooth blackberry. I have not found any.

1 Like

ill send you some in the spring. i found one that was pretty productive but its far from here. its near a remote lake i fish at so it will give me a excuse for a fishing trip. :wink:

3 Likes

I found this fruit ripening sequence of blackberries that i hadnt seen before from LSU… not sure how accurate it is with the misspellings.

BlackberryRipeningsequence2

I was researching my Cheyenne which should fruit for me this year and i noticed that they said it had a raspberry flavor… so i looked up the breeding and it does have raspberry in its breeding… so i guess its a hybrid…and looks like Brazos is also a hybrid.

weird, I just bought Ebony King from home depot or lowes, and the cane is totally smooth

They sand the spines off at my locations…YMMV. Kind of like if you buy someone roses they remove the spines/thorns.

The ridges on the canes are usually a sign when young that they will be spined when they mature.

Thornless will have less pronounced ridges usually.

kg21-blackberries-04

Or maybe its not Ebony King that you bought? No clue without seeing pics.

it came in packaging labeled “Ebony King” from Lowes (or home depot, don’t remember)

this is what it looks like:

Yes that looks right… I see what looks like scars from where they removed the spines.

Ebony King is sold at my Walmart and Lowes but only the super high traffic ones here… the lower tiered ones dont carry them. Im sure its due to our low population.

Looks like you have a good strong cane but shortly after you see a new primocane coming up at the bottom you may as well cut that handle to the ground… if you want the best growth from the Pcane.

2 Likes

check out this trellis system

3 Likes

ive been seeing this on social medias. I think its great for folks to get interested in growing. Theres alot of money invested in that system no matter how you look at it. Also there will be alot of time and effort in removing spent canes and thinning and pruning.

I just use t-posts and wire and baling twine.

Im not with the landscape fabric myself… i like grasses and clovers and biome for the roots… and i do not have to irrigate at all. Im sure that the above trellis system will need irrigation of some sort…probably manually. Also will need more fertilizer i think. I think the consensus of the thought process is that the landscape fabric stops the ‘robbing’ of nutrients by the grass and clovers etc. It doesnt work that way for me.

To each his own and YMMV… i think its a great idea for some… just not for me.

4 Likes

Adding Jaclyn and Addison raspberries this year next to Josephines… all are created by the same guy at Five Acres Breeding, he also created Caroline and Anne which most are familiar with.

Jaclyn seems to be the earliest rasp to fruit and it is the most heat tolerant i think… Addison looks very promising also, it has red canes and dark red fruit like Crimson Night but darker.

Both of these seem to be much better than Caroline and one or both may be better than Josephine which is now impossible to find a true to name plant.

I got mine from one green world… so may be interesting to someone looking to add another raspberry or two.

2 Likes

i have been growing Jacyln for 5 years now. a large, good tasting berry. they fruit about the same time as autumn britten which are in there with them. mine came from Hartmann’s.

2 Likes

Crimson Giant Red Rasp is somewhat available at a few nurseries.

Yield is comparable to those observed in ‘Himbo Top’ and ‘Polka’ with better fruit quality and 40-50% larger fruit than those varieties

seems like a workhorse with larger berries.

Untitled

1 Like