Blackberries, Raspberries and Hybrids

The Niwot that i had that fruited on primocanes was from Double A Vineyards.

The ones that didnt were from Pense. (pense has sent me alot of wrong things)…but they will refund you easily so theres that.

1 Like

Do they ship as a single cane? These prices look much better than the places googler has sent me.

Update…


:confounded: now i remember why i can’t use this website

1 Like




Online says top 1/3 of primocanes don’t fruit as floricanes. Something I’ve noticed today while not sleeping and staying up to look at things in the morning… they’re fruiting at the old fruit spots too. Various varieties, blackberries and raspberries.

My PAF isn’t putting up new shoots like i want it too. Fall gold and double gold look compact as well as the possibly mislabeled polka as well.

As much as i love Caroline, bitch is bonkers. Extremely vigorous and i feel like if i had put holes on the side of my pots instead of the bottom, she would be sprouting from there too.

Not shown but Vintage is fruiting again on its floricane for the second year it looks like. Will need to observe again next year to see if it’s going to do the same thing with this year’s floricanes.

Still looking for a Kokanee to compare.

I’ve noticed that my really sick blueberries i got last year are doing okay now and so far, no signs of the same sickness. However one things I’ve also noticed is that almost none of them, even getting as big as they are, are fruiting except Pearl. Pearl only has 1 bunch of flowers coming in though.

Gurneys no longer does bare root blueberries, may be out of season for them for bare roots, so no more ka blueys here in the pnw from them.

May potentially put fall gold in the ground this year instead of next. It also looks to be tidy.

My friend put some pansies in with one of my blueberry pots and i thought it was cool but… they’ve eaten all food and that blueberry isn’t putting out as much as it was the previous year.

Monterey and San Andreas strawberries aren’t as hardy when it comes to transplant as other varieties. I’ve noticed Albion doesn’t like transplant by me as much as well and the two above are supposed upgrades to Albion.

Moral of the story, don’t plant flowers by your fruits.

2 Likes

i think one way to figure that out is to ask CAvocado if his Prime Ark Freedoms started leafing out already. My PA freedoms began leafing out a month ago and are already in full bloom, but my TC only recently began leafing out

@krismoriah speaking of triple crown, if it weren’t for the labels I wouldn’t be able to tell TC from Victory, I swear they look identical. I wonder if the berries will taste different?

3 Likes

all i can say about this is that I grew an Encore raspberry that made the most beautiful perfect looking berries, and tasted absolutely terrible. Like styrofoam and chemicals. I trashed the plant. But I still wonder if I had waited a few years if it would have tasted better. Everyone I’ve talked to says Encore tastes really good :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

you know how I feel about Pense… the man argued with me when I told him the Prime Ark Horizon he sent me were not Horizon because they were thornless - even when I sent him a screenshot of an email from the university of arkansas themselves (he said they wouldn’t know horizon if it hit them in the face). He did refund me but he was not happy

2 Likes

This doesn’t give me hope for my first order of berries that I happened to place at Pense (not knowing any better because the prices and variety were great). Sounds like I’ll be back here in a few months to figure out if what I ordered is what I got!

2 Likes

Has anyone grown both PA Freedom and PA Traveler? I’m thinking about adding one to the mix but not sure what is notably different between them.

1 Like

Traveller was named mostly for post harvest potential like selling berries or shipping… smaller fruit than Freedom.

2 Likes

I have seen this too. The end of the cane may be grayish white and light brown (dead) but further down the “spent” floricane is still healthy and I can see the light green stem layer when pruned to the ground.

1 Like

I’m growing both in separate pots. I’ve noticed Traveler likes to crawl on the ground more and Freedom likes to shoot into the sky :thinking:

1 Like

To my knowledge, I don’t have any of the Prime Arks (or anything primocane fruiting), so nothing to compare them to in that respect, but I don’t think it’s PA Freedom or Traveler. The TCs in question are florocane fruiting. They normally bloom late (mid-late May), and ripening peaks around early-mid August. The blossoms on the 3 year old canes are coming out much earlier than any other blossoms the plant’s normal florocanes, or any other blackberry for that matter.

Here’s what it’s florocanes currently look like. I couldn’t find any blossom buds forming yet:


1 Like

I got lucky this year and my thornless loganberry survived -7. I transplanted all of my brambles from pots to raised beds and was pleasantly surprised when I dug up the Triple Crown I tip-rooted in early September. I believe I stuck the tip of a long branch in the pot during the first week of September, and there was nice root growth and thickening of the stem at the base. I much prefer this method to disturbing the roots and soil of the parent plant. Previously, I have only tip-rooted into the ground and did not see the fine root growth.

6 Likes

Hello everyone, I am new to growing rubus. I spent the past few days reading some threads on here, thanks for all the amazing information! I’m definetly interested in getting a few varieties from some members here in the future. I’m in zone 6a in mid/east Michigan.

For now, I have just planted,
Blackberries: Prime Ark Freedom, Natchez, Triple Crown, Snowbank
Black/purple raspberries: Amethyst, Royalty, Jewel, Pequot Lakes
Red/yellow raspberries: Heritage, Prelude, Latham, Anne, Double Gold
Hybrids: Marion, Tay, Logan, Boysen

Nothing fancy and mostly just doing a small trial run to see what I don’t kill. My ribes are all thriving (I have 40+ of those) and wild bird-planted rubes ocassionally try to take over one fenceline I have those on so I’m hoping the rubus cultivars will do ok.

8 Likes

I recorded a walk through my garden this morning if anyone wants to see the blackberries and raspberries

7 Likes

Hi @Losech. That is a long list of plants for a beginner. Good luck to you! I think you may be surprised how many plants survive.

@Melon ION just shipped my order with a few extra canes because there were problems with placing an order on their website last December! :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Thanks @RobertH. I’ve worked in organic agriculture and managed brambles before, but this is the first time growing them on my property, and the enviroment is completely different. Plus that was a while ago, so I consider myself a beginner.

I’m excited to see how they do. I tend to dive pretty hard into my hobbies, this was only 1/4 of what I originally wanted. I really had to stop myself from going nuts right off the bat like I did with my ribes, I went from 3 plants to 40+ in less than 6 months lol

6 Likes

So I’ve been wanting wineberries but can’t find a trusted source for them but i feel like they’re nearby…

I found some in the woods near the town of Issaquah once upon a time and they were the most delicious wild edibles i ever remember. There were only a few of them though and i haven’t been back to that area in decades…

Yesterday i went outside and there’s wild blackberry popping up everywhere so I’m picking them as they come up however… I’ve been picking one that i feel like i shouldn’t :thinking: it doesn’t entirely look like a wild blackberry to me…

Wouldn’t it be funny if it was wineberry and I’m over here just decimating them…

how are you gonna post that without posting pics? :grin:
we wanna see!

1 Like

Gotta take the dogs out anyways. Will update this in a few moments