Blackberry Fruits

Any idea what’s going on here?

Thank you,

Dax

1 Like

In my location, that kind of damage to the nearly ripe black fruits is from birds – primarily blue jays.

2 Likes

My precise last thoughts as I was clicking to post.

Dax

2 Likes

Birds

2 Likes

The other issue I see is under-developed fruits, possibly due to minor potash deficiency. If I felt this was an issue in my soil, I’d make a single application of Sul-Po-Mag (not K-Mag) over the entire root zone at the beginning of the last two months of the growing season.

1 Like

Looks like when Mine are attacked by Fire Ants…

2 Likes

Spotted Wing Drophosila will make a berry look like that as well.

2 Likes

I haven’ seen any white maggots anywhere either on the more than 60’ of raspberries or my two blackberries. Thank you, however @TurkeyCreekTrees. I don’t see any insects ever on these blackberries. Not a single Japanese beetle even whom lived on my raspberries for a month. I have seen a bit of bird droppings on the leaves of these blackberries.

This SWD is something I’m new to and hoping not to see. I’ve been reading about it lately. I do have one question… since the flying insects are so tiny, are they visible to the naked eye? My IL extension articles say it’s possible it’s in all counties of IL but it’s not reported in all but 4-5 and they’re much further south from me.

No fire ants here @dutch-s, thank you. No ants anywhere to be found on this plant.

@Richard, the soil is magnificent. I’m going to chalk up the underdeveloped fruits to it being in its second year of fruiting. It shop up like a rocket last year and may of had a few berries on it, but this year is the first year of real fruiting. What do you think? I mean all the raspberries near it are spot on beautiful. Same with anything I grow along this area.

Dax

2 Likes

SWD are tiny but I can see them flying around. They prefer the shaded areas in your plants.

1 Like

Thank you so much.

Dax

1 Like

SWD will dart off of any disturbed fruit and are easy to see then. They will also gather on any fallen, shaded fruit, just give those a tap. If you want earlier warning, put up an apple cider vinegar trap.

3 Likes

Japanese Beetles will do that damage.

2 Likes

Thank you, guys.

Dax

1 Like