Blackberry ripening

Do blackberries continue to ripening after picking .

“Ripening” as in getting sweeter not spoiling.:grinning:

Mike

2 Likes

I would say no. They better be sweet when picked. Letting them set to ripen sounds like rot to me.

6 Likes

They are tough to pick just right. Watch for the calyx to turn completely brown. Most come off easily when ripe. Slightly unripe fruit is great for jam.

4 Likes

Blackberries do not change ripeness or sweetness after harvest. Keep them dry – they will mold faster is stored wet or damp. If you don’t have any fruit on the ground there will not be a lot fully ripe on the canes – but there may be plenty for sampling. Typical harvest span is every three days.

5 Likes

I’ve been sampling my blackberries daily, ensuring that none of them get fully ripe because I can’t resist any that are nearly ripe enough to be palatable. But in a couple of days I think we’ll hit critical mass.

3 Likes

Most of mine are ripening now. Lockness and Chester are hold outs. Lochness is a good producer. Easy to pick too. For stone fruit I need patience as I have nothing that is early, I have to fix that one day.
Here is Lochness

6 Likes

At my previous home, Lochness were the most reliable and productive of 6 or so varieties I tried. They were also the tartest.

I’ll try to remember to take a peek at them when I go over there in a couple hours.

3 Likes

Yeah i remember you saying that, not here though, superb. All gardening is local.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ve got an embarrassing confession to make. The fruit I am describing is Nightfall blackberry which are long and tart. My Lochness are like you describe and picture, except mine are ripening. They are rounder and sweet, unobjectionable, and nearly insipid. I may be in the minority in that I don’t favor the mild, sweet only blackberries like this and Triple Crown.

5 Likes

They still are better here I think because I can’t get them that sweet. I too am not a big fan of low acid stuff in general. i have exceptions, I like very sweet grapes and figs. Sweet cherries too.

1 Like

Yeah, figs, persimmons, grapes, gages and dates are exceptions. I was going to say papaya too, but I always eat it with lime juice.

2 Likes