Blakes Pride pear

@mamuang

Perhaps this is one I got from you. It’s covered in blooms this year. It seems you mentioned It’s not a great tasting pear at your location. What can you tell me about it?

BP is very disease resistant in my area. The fruit is a good size, medium to large. I tried refrigerated them for 2-3 weeks and let them ripened on the counter some more before eating them.

They tasted mildly sweet and the texture was not smooth. Overall, unimpressive. I did not know if BP needs more refrigeration time or some other way to make it tastes as good as described in nurseries’ websites.

2 Likes

@mamuang

Let’s see how it does here maybe it will surprise us.

1 Like

I have fruit set on my young Blake’s Pride this year. Can only hope it is a good one.

1 Like

Have a few fruitlets left on blakes pride

1 Like

Hope BP likes your soil more than mine. So far, the pear has been subpar, not sweet with some grit (I prefer smooth Euro pears). This is 4 th years of fruiting. Maybe, the quality will improve.

1 Like

@mamuang

Yes I’ve read very mixed reviews on it.

Did you get hail? Mother nature sent in an airborne mower here this year. Fortunately, it isn’t a complete loss. More of a heavy thinning.

1 Like

@snowflake

Wind and other weather heavily thinned my trees.

1 Like

The pears dropped! Will be waiting to see how these taste for another year.

2 Likes

@clarkinks

Darn. Broken branches? We got an early solid covering of hail that heavily thinned fruit and a couple of weeks later got another go round that removed most all of the rest of the fruit. No broken big branches, but a lot of smaller branches and fruit spurs snapped off. There is some remaining fruit up under where they were protected by branches, but not much. I’ll be thankful for any varieties I have this year!

1 Like

Blakes pride is doing well @mamuang. Blossoms are still opening at my location.

2 Likes

It is very productive but mine has never tasted any good. I have converted most to other varieties.

1 Like

@mamuang

This is a very dwarfing callery rootstock i was testing many years ago. It is only about 5 feet tall. Have many projects like that one. The Callery is now considered a problem. Nothing further will come of my dwarfing pear rootstocks that work in marginal areas. Won’t be more than 100 pears ever. At the time, you warned me about how it tastes in your area.

The fruit is medium to large. Mine has gotten some russeting. I refrigerated them for 3-4 weeks and counter ripened them. Texture has some grit to it and it was not as sweet as advertised.

1 Like

Looking forward to hearing how they do, Mr. Clark

1 Like