Blank canvas am working on

a friend just gave me the free hand to spruce up an ultra-empty desert yard(las vegas). Kind of late in the year to start anything that would fill up the yard quickly, and budget is mid-level, so decided to ‘set things in stone’ first, which i find very effective in creating an instant vista which also imparts a sense of permanence.

of course, i have earmarked long-lasting and desert-hardy jujubes, mulberries, and mexican green onions to fill the wide-gaping spaces between the stonework. Annuals and short-lived trees to follow(as “disposable” prospects).

here are the before-and-after sequence which will continuously update :

10 Likes

Wow! What a fun project. This ought to keep you busy… can’t wait for the updates.

Katy

1 Like

it is going to be a slooow process, considering our dry heat here. Slowly but surely, and surely but slowly, lol

1 Like

A huge blank canvas! Cannot wait to see the botanical painting!

2 Likes

the nosy neigh-bor overseeing me install the concrete mold

9 Likes

Raf,

You can make a nice molding of a horse so your horse neighbor can visit you more often.

2 Likes

He/she wants a molding on the other side of the fence…for aesthetics and company and possibly tasting…

1 Like

finally dug the first hole…

italian cypress to frame the west side

was planning to plant sherwood or coco jujus, but afraid would take so much longer to fill the gaping airspace…

3 Likes

Raf,
Is this a new lot? Your old photos of the back yard were loaded with jujubes.

Hi Tony, it is a ~ 1 acre property of a friend who gave me the liberty to design and populate with trees and greens. And some stonework, contingent to friend’s budget :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What a fun project! Where did you get your concrete molds? They’re beautiful.

1 Like

Thanks @CA_Poppy
We get those molds from ebay. Currently tempted to buy this man of the woods.

for the step-by-step process, you can check our other thread

2 Likes

That man of the woods mold is very handsome.

Great video. A couple of questions… Do you spray cooking oil or any other releasing agent into the molds before filling them? How many times can you use the molds before they break?

have never sprayed oil but that seems to be a good idea. Only issue could think of is if the cement alkali might saponify the oil. So far the only releasing agent i use would be heat from the sun. The solidified cement does not expand much, if at all, but the plastic mold expands with warmth and usually pops itself out from the hardened concrete.

none of our molds have failed after 100+ casts. The details will diminish btw as the mold gets thick with concrete film/crusts, but can be softened and cleared out with just a couple days’ soaking with vinegar.

1 Like