Blossom End Rot (BER)

A few days ago I noticed two tomatoes that had some rot near the blossom end. Each day afterward I saw a few more. These were removed but the rot continued. Apparently removing the damaged fruit doesn’t stop the other fruit from getting the same issue. I then go to the handy dandy Goggle and find out what everyone that grows tomatoes already knows. It’s Blossom End Rot you dummy. Then I turn to YouTube to see if there is a remedy. There were several suggestions to go to the big box store and get a container of stuff designed to prevent BER. Then I saw several people holding up containers of antacid bottles. I just happened to have a container of such that indicated to have 750 mg of calcium. Several said to crush/dissolve and spray the plants and my BER troubles will be gone. What do you do to prevent the rot problem? Thanks

You need to add calcium to your soil and if that is a problem start spraying them early - the calcium doesn’t move from soil to already growing leaves, so spray is the best solution if the soil is not perfect. Not sure about antacid though, never tried.

3 Likes

Thanks

I used to always have that problem, but calcium sprays took care of it. Pretty easy to find it at retail stores, usually called End Rot or something like that. Adding calcium to the soil works sometimes, but often it is an issue with the plants ability to uptake calcium. This can be caused by various stressors such as too much water, not enough water, too much heat or too much cold.

2 Likes

Thanks

My soil is high in calcium so my doctor told me to eat oranges to correct my bottom end rot. I still have blossom end rot on my tomatoes

2 Likes

my father used to drench the soil with a cup of skim milk around each plant.

1 Like

I put crushed egg shells on top of the soil after I put the plants in

1 Like

@Auburn … never ever have BER here…

I make homemade compost and we eat a lot of eggs and all shells get composted…

But when i plant tomatoes… i add two other good sources of CA… bone meal, gypsum.

I always give them a bit of epsom salt and greensand too… which covers magnesium, iron and other trace minerals.

Of course having your ph right is important and supplying your tomato plants with enough water is important. Once I plant my tomatoes i put down a good 6-8 inches of old partially rotted hay. Helps to keep the soil in their root zones moist… and happy.

Good luck with your maters.

3 Likes

According to this from North Dakota State University the magnesium in Epson Salt can interfere with calcium so should be avoided in BER is a problem.

3 Likes

I had a big problem with BER in ghouse until I switched to soaker hose on a timer. The consistent application of water (on every 3 days in spring and fall, every 2 days in summer) seemed to solve my problem.

4 Likes

Foliar application of Grow More Maxi-Cal is a good remedy in my location.

3 Likes

I use Calcium Nitrate weekly on my tomatoes. Also, never let them get too dry to the point where the plants wilt before watering. Every time that happens it guarantees some blossum end rot for me. This is a good video on BER.

2 Likes

Thanks

Watch your watering and it will go away. IMHO adding/spraying calcium doesn’t do anything.

4 Likes

Just wanted to thank everyone for helping out with the BER issue. I feel equipped to deal with it now.

2 Likes

Agricultural lime.

1 Like