Blueberry Muffin Recipe

Inspiration struck and I’ve made several different blueberry muffin recipes over the last few weeks to try to find one I really enjoy. This one combines a few elements of two of them and is head and shoulders above the rest. Give it a shot or share your favorite blueberry muffin recipe.

1 stick unsalted butter (at room temperature)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup yellow cornmeal
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup milk
3 cups blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 375. Grease 12 regular muffin tins.
  2. Cream the butter and 1 cup of sugar with electric mixer. Add eggs and beat well. Add the baking powder, vanilla extract, and lemon zest and mix well.
  3. In another bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, and cinnamon. Add half the dry ingredients to the batter and mix lightly. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix.
  4. Fold in blueberries. Spoon the batter into muffin cups and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 25-35 minutes (until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean).
9 Likes

Has to be wonderful! I’m a fan of lemon zest and think it fits perfectly with berries and vanilla and butter- not to mention the cinnamon.

A modest variation is to make a butter-sugar streusel to top it with just for those who like a bit of crunch in the crust, but it’s not really an improvement- just a little change-up for fun.

3 Likes

Yum! Glad to see you using a good amount of berries. I see recipes with like a 1/2 cup of berries and think, “That’s not a blueberry muffin, that’s a muffin with blueberries.”
Sounds good.

3 Likes

great recipe @SMC_zone6, blueberry muffins are one of my favorites…

I will throw in a quick baking tip for any novices, make sure your butter, eggs and milk are brought to room temp before mixing them and don’t’ melt the butter in the microwave…If you must, let it cool before mixing it.

3 Likes

Sounds totally delish. I LOVE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS and Cornbread muffins too so this is best of both worlds. Thanks for posting,

Anthony

2 Likes

I would call these mini Blueberry Buckles,I think (for me) subbing Buttermilk for regular milk and adding some sour cream, would improve moisture, structure, and flavor.

2 Likes

Thanks, Moley. I was actually looking for a recipe that used sour cream. How much would you add to the above recipe? And would you have to change anything else? Thanks.

1 Like

1/2cup of sour cream, The muffins will be more dense and moist, I prefer them that way. If you want more rise and slightly lighter, add more baking powder, perhaps 1 and 1/2 T.

Otherwise i like the recipe, pretty basic stuff. A good set of silicon muffin pans are a godsend, I bake most everything on silicon nowadays, have a bunch of shapes, molds and silpats.

@jeremymillrood A lot of recipes call for chilled butter (laminated dough, pie, etc), softened is cool but I wouldn’t’ microwave it. you dont want to separate the milk solids.

2 Likes

@moley, good call out, yes definitely chilled for pies and even biscuits but that’s a different baking than muffins or cakes…Certainly not recommending the microwave, but I know some people can’t wait for the butter to soften on it’s own…

2 Likes

Just a couple of words here- as a rule when using sour cream or buttermilk you can (should) replace the baking powder with baking soda- but only about one half as much. (Baking powder is two parts acid salt -originally cream of tartar- plus one part baking soda. Double acting baking powders use an acid salt that requires heat to be activated.) And don’t let any of your mixture get too warm, as a cool batter can hold very small air bubbles, which will provide even leavening when the cake is baked. Natural soda/acid leavening starts working as soon as its mixed, so it’s good to get it into the pans and then the preheated oven right away.

3 Likes