Blueberry pie

I came home from work and was surprised by a wonderful blueberry pie made by my wife and daughters. She used 4 cups of blueberries I picked two days prior.

It was incredible. We ate the whole thing in two days.

26 Likes

Beautiful family and also the pie. Good work!

9 Likes

That looks fabulously delicious!!! Kudos to your wife. Try blueberry and peach combination in a pie. Tried it this year and the tastes are great together!!!

10 Likes

I’ll see if I can convince her. I picked more blueberries today and we plan to go to the orchard this weekend to get some peaches. She made a few great blackberry cobblers and peach cobblers, but never a pie like this. I also cook, but never really got into baking.

6 Likes

I love blueberry pie and I love peach pie but the combination was better than either one by itself. Thinking of that I need to go get some peaches and make one again!!!

7 Likes

They keep eating all my fruit, spoiled little kids. When I was their age, I was eating Fruity Pebbles, not daily fresh picked fruit. :wink:

11 Likes

Jim, you’re spoiling them just right. Maybe when they are grown they will insist on authentic, healthy, beautifully natural food for their kids!

7 Likes

Totally the hope, we need to get away from the processed foods the best we can. Took me 35 years to learn that, and still practicing.

6 Likes

i made a 60% b. currant , 20% raspberry, 10%strawberry,10% blueberry pie. it came out excellent! my wife is picky with pies and she loved this one.

4 Likes

You made it last for two days! Ten minutes here!

4 Likes

Now that’s the best!!!

3 Likes

The black currants don’t overpower the other flavors? My consorts are so musky tasting. I enjoy them, especially as a jam, but never considered putting them in a pie. I’ll have to try it next year because the currants are all done this year.

3 Likes

the b. currant is definitely dominant. i made some b. currant/ red raspberry jam and its a perfect balance. i plan to try a pie with that once my everbearing rasps. ripen.

2 Likes

Would you share the recipe. My first attempt was a failure.

1 Like

That looks great! I have failed at growing blueberries here but there is a great pick-your-own about 5 mins away so I just go for theirs rather than struggling anymore.
It’s nice to have something I don’t have to do all the work for and it fills in the small fruit gap I get around now.
Pure blueberry pies have been made as well as mixing in some of our frozen blackraspberries and some commercial peaches and sweet cherries.

The main, relevant point is that I’ve confirmed that St. Germaine is the liquor* to add to blueberries. A tbsp to a quarter cup in a pie really improves it. It’s also good with the blackcaps but the orange ones are good there too. Just FYI!

• since flavour esters tend to dissolve in water, fat or alcohol, using all 3 is the best way to get the fullest flavours. Adding booze to pies makes them all so much tastier.
3 Likes

yes, be happy to. Let me ask my wife and I’ll get back to you.

2 Likes

Blueberry/peach was a great suggestion! I tried it and the combo was a home run! I found this recipe and it worked fine: Blueberry Peach Pie | Sally's Baking Addiction Thank you!

2 Likes