Bolted shallots

I have a patch of Dutch Red shallots I planted (as bulbs/sets) in fall. They’re growing and “splitting” nicely, each one splitting into anywhere from 3 to 9 individual shoots (which I assume translate to shallot bulbs).

Two of the stalks are bolting. Pic below. If one shoot in a cluster (meaning, the cluster that sprouts from a single planted bulb) bolts but the others don’t, will the unbolted shoots still produce a normal bulb, or does it mean that whole plant/cluster is doomed?

1 Like

So of the seven shoots that came from this bulb, only one has a flower stalk. Assuming the other ones don’t produce a flower stalk, will the others shoots still produce a bulb?

My understanding is once it bolts, it won’t really get any bigger.

1 Like

Only the one is affected. I cut off the flowering stalk. And yes, once they bolt they put stored energy from the bulb into the flower/seeds.

1 Like

I assume the individual bulbs are planted in late fall and overwinter in place. Then sometime around now the bulbs can be harvested. Am I even close to how shallots are to be cared for. Thinking about growing them.

I used to plant them just like my garlic in early fall. The tops dry and die when they’re ready to lift. After curing them for a few days you can rub the excess paper off. Then just keep in an airy, cool area.

If I can I buy shallot seedlings and plant them as early as possible in the spring. That’s what I did this year; we’ll see how they turn out. Right now my garlic looks great and the shallots are just getting established, so I kind of wish I’d fall planted shallot bulbs!

2 Likes

I have no bulbs yet. They look like green onions at this point.

@Auburn from the looks of it, I’m at least a month away from harvestable shallot bulbs.

1 Like

I bought a few shallot bulbs at Publix and cooked with them. They imparted a good taste to the food and I though that I would plant the leftovers. I’m now thinking that there is more to this than just planting.

I love shallots for a sauce or gravy.

2 Likes