Bonide Orchard Spray

Anyone has used this stuff?

This was recommended by our local Co-op staff, to prevent the fruitworms inside my peach fruits. I’m not sure if those are fruitworms, They go inside the small fruits and the small fruits just fall to ground.

I need to get some production from my peach trees.

I used that last year on my apples, plums, pears, and peaches with good results. I sprayed after every heavy rain from petal drop until August when all the fruit had sized up pretty well. Good luck!

Mike, glad to know. I only have problems with my peaches thus far. Pears and cherries are fine.

So I figure there is no pure organic solution in this situation. I’ll be still happy to get some peaches, just need to wash well, or even peel off the skins.

It can work, or you could buy just the insecticide. Use a sticker too!
Do not use on Apricots.
If brown rot is a problem too I would use Bonide’s Fruit Tree and Plant Guard. It has an insecticide too. It is a much more dangerous product, and such. Handle with care.

I could be wrong, but I think this product is considered organic, its basically just sulphur. . .

The content is mainly sulfur. Can I also use sulfur dust? Not sure if there is anything else?

Your coop gurus probably know very little about producing fruits. Sulfur will not deter coddling moth or most any other top tier insect pest. Surround and the BT formulations are the only organically approved compounds that are protective against coddling moth and Surround is probably the only thing affective enough…

No, no, the staff is not guru, just a lovely lady who is happy to help :slightly_smiling:

Thanks for the info. I’ll take a look of the things you mentioned…

Are the pyrethrins not effective against codling moth? Or is the 0.25% active ingredient of pyrethrins in that Bonide Orchard Spray too low of a concentration to work? This forums is starting to dissuade me from organic only methods and I am starting to work on plan B before I drop the $$ on Surround.

The sulfur is there as something of a fungicide and the perethrins are the insecticidal component. Here’s a link from Cornell:

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/pyrethrins-ziram/pyrethrins-ext.html

I use a little sulfur on powdery mildew. For insecticidal control I’ve been lucky in the last couple years with spinosad, an organic that’s very effective against codling moth, in my experience, if you nail the timing for each generation. I’ve used Spectracide Once and Done with good results on codling moth, but it doesn’t tolerate heat without losing its potency and I’m wary of buying it because of that.

Agreed, spinosad is about the only organic that does serious damage to moths. I use it plus Surround plus mating disruption.

Bonide has many “fruit tree spray” kinds, I think I have seen three different formulations. The other two have more standard non-organic bug killers.

My only problem with spinosad for codling moth is that the chemical has such a short residual effect that your timing really does have to be excellent. But I went from near-total loss of apples to virtually zero damage with it.

I don’t doubt that Surround can be effective, but I found it so ugly, and it made the tree unpleasant to work in, so I don’t use it. I would, though, if it came down to it. As for the sulfur, out here in the arid west we’re spared a lot of the fungal issues the rest of the world has to suffer through and I’ve never had to worry about much of them.

I gather one of the problems with with pyrethrin-type formulations is that they are indiscriminate. If I’m not mistaken that includes Once & Done. Seems to me that there was some other caution (other than the standard aquatic restrictions) but it escapes me now. Another file the flesh computer (to steal Alan’s coinage) has lost track of!

I actually thought the material was only sulfur. But I agree with Scott’s clarification.

If I had stayed in the West, I doubt I’d be using anything but organically approved materials. If I moved back now, I would be less reluctant to use some synthetic materials if there was significant advantage.

For most of us backyard hobby orchardists I think it makes sense to at least try organic first, and, if problems come up, then bring out the “heavy artillery”. This is going to be my 4th year now for my trees, and so far I’ve only used the Bonide dormant oil, and the Fruit Nut and Orchard spray described above. Last year I harvested over 100 apples, a couple hundred plums, 50 peaches and a few pears and they were all perfect. I know part of that, from what I learned from this board is likely because the orchard (20 trees) is so new. I very likely will have more problems as the years go on. Only having a small number of trees it is a reachable goal to not let any fruit drop on the ground and rot, possibly attracting pests and starting a cycle as well. Anything that hits the ground gets picked up and goes in the garbage can.

What are the insects that infect little peaches? They send worms inside and make sap come out? I only have problem with peaches now. Asian pears are just fine, just the birds.